Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: It's 2022, where are my gi pants with pockets?! Reply with quote

I mean, the title says it all. I've been thinking about this a lot, and I'm ready to rant.

I've been thinking about the lack of pockets in my gi for quite some time now. I want them, and a lot of people that I've talked to also wants them. There's no reason that some company isn't just flooding the market with gis with pockets. I know that Century has a pair that is perpetually sold out, and I'm sure that there are other companies out there that have the same, but I don't have them. I'm also not very good at sewing. So it's not like I can just sit down and take care of this problem myself. I have a Master's in English and Creative Writing. I'm an ideas guy, not a sewer.

And I know that there are reasons that we don't, but those are in the past! But John, you say, why would you want things in your pockets during an intense class. I don't! I want to be able to have stuff in pockets as I walk up to class, or to a new dojo where I'm not sure that there is a changing area. I want to be able to use them in informal classes and lighter training at home! I want functionality! I want options!

But John, you say again, you could snag a finger! I won't! My gi top usually rests over where pockets would be, and my hand does not often go to where my pockets be unless chambering in which I have a tight (but relaxed) fist which means that the closet finger I have to the pocket is my pinky; safely curled into the palm.

But John, you say, tournaments don't allow you to have pockets when competing. I know, and I think that's silly! Am I going to reach in with a gloved hand for some pocket sand? That's a DQ even if I got the sand from the ground! Even so, I currently own 3 sets of gi pants. I can just have a separate pair for when I'm at a tournament. Or, I can protest this oppressive, no pockets climate that the tournament elites have created. It's would be my choice if there were pockets.

Look. All I'm saying is that gis with pockets are an easy win. They could even just make them custom for each order and get more money. All I know is that I want to keep my personal belongings in my pockets and I wear a gi so much in my life that it seems insane that I can't do that here.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are exactly right! It's time to move out of the dark ages, and get pockets on gis!

I do agree that they would be handy when getting to and from class. It'd be nice to be able to take the top off, put on a t-shirt, and then slip my phone, wallet, and keys into my gi pockets, slip on my flip-flops, and then walk to the car after class.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the decades I've seen pockets come and go. Century MA Supplies once had blue jeans that had a built-in gusset and pockets. For your reasons, I do think pockets in the gi pants is a functional purpose. Imho, tradition seems to trump pockets in gi pants because they buck culture designs of the gi pants.

I say...POCKETS...or at least POCKET!!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, the idea of a free market is that when someone sees a gap that they have the opportunity to fix it. I recently started taking some new medicines for my ADHD and have found that I have a lot more time on my hands recently. Maybe it's time to make my million dollar idea into an actual million dollars.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
You know, the idea of a free market is that when someone sees a gap that they have the opportunity to fix it. I recently started taking some new medicines for my ADHD and have found that I have a lot more time on my hands recently. Maybe it's time to make my million dollar idea into an actual million dollars.

I believe that it would catch on like a brush fire. Put a table up at a tournament, small or big, and you just might be spending your days counting your million dollars. After all, the inventor of the Pet Rock, laughed all the way to the bank.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Zaine wrote:

I believe that it would catch on like a brush fire. Put a table up at a tournament, small or big, and you just might be spending your days counting your million dollars. After all, the inventor of the Pet Rock, laughed all the way to the bank.

I agree. Why wait for someone else to fill the need you want? Make a few pair. If someone else is interested, make a few more. Who knows where it might go?

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did train in the past in a style that had pockets in the trousers (was a TKD offshoot and they had their own bespoke designed suits). Never once heard of anyone having an issue with a finger/toe getting caught in one.

My bjj bo-gi shorts also have some internal pockets for mouthguards etc and i'm sure i have seem some with pockets too. Never found it to be an issue and if fingers/toes getting caught was ever going to cause a problem it would be with grappling.

Pockets in gi trousers sounds like a pretty good reason to start a new organisation - better than some of the reasons people give for breaking away!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
Pockets in gi trousers sounds like a pretty good reason to start a new organisation - better than some of the reasons people give for breaking away!

I've heard a lot of reasons to break away from an organization, from things as noble as "The head is abusive and I can no longer support them now that I know," to "The head wouldn't let me wear blue gi pants with a black top." As long as I'm floating somewhere above that then I think I'm good.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the idea of Pockets in Gi Pants, especially as an Instructor.

As it would make life easier to hold a few key items whilst teaching.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
I don't mind the idea of Pockets in Gi Pants, especially as an Instructor.

As it would make life easier to hold a few key items whilst teaching.
The amount of things I see instructors putting down, having to look for those things, putting things in their top, those things falling out... I'm surprised it's not a huge phenomena already.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: