Add KarateForums.com
Test the New KarateForums.com! (KF Turns 23)
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Judo, and Kickboxing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Jab vs. Backfist Reply with quote

Hi. I just got to thinking, a jab and a backfist cover about the same distance but you can create much more power with a backfist. Why do most people prefer a jab as opposed to a backfist?
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because a backfist covers a wider area and thus cannot be slipped through holes as easily, and may require you to lift your elbow further and open yourself up more.

JCavin
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kenpo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabs are a much more useful punch than a backfist. A backfist has it's place, though.

For instance, here are some uses of the jab:

- Gauge distance
- Cover eyes for your power hand
- Slip between hands in guard position

Not to mention the fact that there are multiple types of jabs. Stiff jab, flicking jab, setup jab, switch jab.

The straight line makes it much faster and harder to see coming as well as making it easier to throw rapidly in succession.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Jab vs. Backfist Reply with quote

datguy wrote:
Hi. I just got to thinking, a jab and a backfist cover about the same distance but you can create much more power with a backfist. Why do most people prefer a jab as opposed to a backfist?

The jab and the backfist each have their own advantages and are used for different things.

The backfist has more power? I would doubt that, as the jab can have the body weight behind it, whereas the backfist only has the momentum of the arm behind it for the most part.

The jab is used to attack straight on to your opponent, whereas the backfist comes from the side and attacks more to the side of the opponent (side of the head for example as opposed to straight on to the face with the jab).

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backfist vs jab depends on a whole lotta stuff. Two totally different ways to generate power. The backfist can be more powerful but it has disadvantages too which is why I personally prefer the jab:

- for the jab you can basically keep a guard and fire it off whilst keeping yourself behind your arm, with the backfist you come round and in arc so have to open yourself up
- jab's quicker
- lots of types of jabs (JCavin already alluded to them) and the jab is a great opener for other techniques, backfist just seems a bit more limited
- can retract the jab quicker (ready to do another one)

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Backfist vs jab depends on a whole lotta stuff. Two totally different ways to generate power. The backfist can be more powerful but it has disadvantages too which is why I personally prefer the jab:

- for the jab you can basically keep a guard and fire it off whilst keeping yourself behind your arm, with the backfist you come round and in arc so have to open yourself up
- jab's quicker
- lots of types of jabs (JCavin already alluded to them) and the jab is a great opener for other techniques, backfist just seems a bit more limited
- can retract the jab quicker (ready to do another one)

I think this pretty much covers it. You're protected, it's a linear motion, and speed, speed, speed.

My backfists have been reduced to about two techniques. One is spinning, and the other is used directly after a lead hook to take advantage of the space (hopefully) opened up by my hook. Other than that - I throw jabs by the dozen.

datguy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Judo, and Kickboxing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I'm still somewhat new to the martial arts so I appreciate you guys/gals for being patient and explaining these things to me.

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

Lee M
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The backfist lends itself to being side on and pushing off covering more ground for points fighting.

I also think you can perform the back fist faster to and its a little harder to see coming from the side.

You can land a jab with much more force - one of the 4 types of jab is the "ram" afterall.

Just got back into points fighting last 3 weeks - my backfist was a big weapon for me - although I present my mind if faster than my body!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't ones methodology something else. For me, I prefer the backfist over the jab because I'm more comfortable with it. Imho, both have many pros and cons across the board.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right; I study backfist (well, a snappy chop really) but not jab because a jab comes out of a hand position that isn't really where my stance has them. All the positions where my hands are up in that chambering position, i'm in a position where a jab doesn't really make a lot of sense. Jab someone in the kneecap? The calf? The groin, maybe? I guess that last might make sense, but it's not the only tool I have for that.
Other people might not have their hands in position for a backfist. Wouldn't make sense for them to mix it in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: