Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Sifu Dan Inosanto, JKD is:

“A series of guidelines to lead you to proficiency.”
“JKD is finding the right art for the right time and place.”
“JKD is the process of developing the “discerning mind.”
“JKD is not an end unto itself, but merely a byproduct. JKD was to serve as a means of self-discovery.”
“JKD is a byproduct of Jun Fan Gung Fu… without Jun Fan Gung Fu there is no JKD.
“The motion of change is essential to JKD. The concept advocates learning, experiencing and evolving above all things.”
“Learning comes from all of your contacts, experiences and facets of your life.”
“The assimilation of learning is called knowledge. The proper use of knowledge is called wisdom.”
“I think it is important for an instructor to always remain a student at heart; to constantly seek better ways of training and execution. It is important to be creative and experiment, and to seek help in areas where you lack expertise.”
“The efficiency of a style depends upon circumstances and range of distance.”
“Martial arts, like life, are a constant unrhythmic movement as well as constant change.”

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa,thats great information there Thaiboxerken.Cheers M8!

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Sutton_uk
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theone20009 was telling me about this yesterday,
interesing stuff

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the good information!!!

mikeod
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him i train in Tae Kwon Do, just thought id have a look in here, i am interested in Kung Fu (Gung Fu wotever) and like Bruce Lee alot, im sure that is a type of Kung Fu that intercepts the move that the opponant has taken, i suppose that this martial art has little blocking in it???? plz can you explain about this martial art, as i may want to train in this too, i know a bit about it, it sounds very good, and also like it would work well.

Bruce Lee (Li) - Enter The Dragon.

"Water is the softest substance in the world, and yet it is the hardest, it can penotrate the hardest rock or cliff, and it is insubstantial, by this i mean it c

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally you are supposed to intercept the intention of the person you are fighting. If you know they want to fight, you try to strike first, strike hard and keep striking until the fight is over. If the opponent decides to attack first, you are to intercept the attack and keep striking until it's over. Of course this takes much timing, so the parries and blocks are taught. And the timing is trained so that a person may learn to intercept attacks.
There is more to JKD than what people understand. JKD is an internal journey whose paths are created by the practioner. That's why there are those JKD people that do more Muay THai, like me, and those that do more Jun Fan. It's all about finding out what works best for you and being bound by no particular system.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite JKD 'thing is the "straightblast" punch. I had a guy tell me that you can beat almost anyone with it. He told me that his school practiced with helmets on so they could go full force, and that this was the most effective technique.

I'm fairly sure that this is probably a basic technique, and that he is one of many "JKD" instructors, who are unfortunately using the name as a marketing tool.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some kung-fu systems have a ciriculum, in which one learns to suit their body type, flexibily, and so one. One builds a core, and then it evolves from there.

mikeod
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the help thai, but surely you cant keep striking until the fight is over. If the other person is more experienced then think, wot would heppen. I know you teack blocks as well, butr thay dont always work. and adapting to the enemy is wot u do too innit!? lol i love being ignorant

The JKD Kid
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the "Stright Blast" or chain punching. Its good to use, in the right timing. You can easly destory a person who's just coming at you with a "Stright Blast", there's a parry that you can do that you parry and come underneath with a Groin shot, or you could mearly jam them with Quan Sao. (That's Bong Sao with a Tan Sao)

Oh one more thing. I think Dan Inosanto is a good man, and a great fighter. and his princables are good. And he's taken alot of good things and made them work for him.But you've also got to understand he teaches alot of diferant things. But dont' call all of it JKD, maybe JKD concepts - but not JKD.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: