Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trained in JKD beginning in 1993 and I trained for four years. That was on the Matt training so to speak, I still practice today. The thing is it has evolved to really all look the same, much of what the video shows certainly looks like JKD but as I said now days it all looks so similar. When I learned it we used many of the Bruce Lee formats of his fighting stance and basics as just the groundwork and the concepts of the art we’re just ideas that could be implemented in just about any movement.

The idea of a straight line beating a curve is actually not entirely closely adhered to in JKD as it is in wing chun, but my nature the concepts of JKD, many of them and the structure is built on top of wing chun.

If I was to ever fight Mike Tyson I would certainly not discredit his hook because I have the thought process that a straight line always wins LOL. In my mind I practice JKD today because I do as Bruce lee tried to do which was create something to fit everybody, this was the concept of JKD, not merely intercepting your opponents movement. The system I study has mixed styles with a foundation in Tamg Soo Do, and essentially all practitioners are welcome to find what works for them, Weatherby sparring stance, go to techniques or what ever. In the sense I am carrying on Bruce Lee’s vision of JKD. I’m not going to lie, I always cringe a little bit when I see cookie cutter movements emulating Bruce Lee because he was always very loud about the fact that he did not create a martial art and everybody should look differently because everybody should make it to fit them. In this sense I am carrying on Bruce Lee’s vision of JKD. I’m not going to lie, I always cringe a little bit when I see cookie cutter movements emulating Bruce Lee because he was always very loud about the fact that he did not create a martial art and everybody should look differently because everybody should make it fit them.

JKD is truly a concept and I thought process and not a physical martial art as we have come to know martial arts today. So, in essence I teach and train in Jeet Kune Do. Anybody who mixes styles to their liking also practices JKD, although the core concept of JKD is not about the exact technique used, because Bruce taught what worked for him and what he felt was effective for him, but the core is not to block and then strike, it is to intercept your opponents attack with an aggressive direct attack.

Anybody who mixes styles to their liking also practices JKD, although the core concept of JKD is not about the exact technique used, because Bruce taught what worked for him and what he felt was effective for him, but the core is not to block and then strike, it is to intercept your opponents attack with an aggressive direct attack. A Taekwondo practitioner could easily implement this thought process into their movements for an effective Jeet Kune Do thought process. It really isn’t about the technique, it’s about the thought process. It’s more about timing and synchronicity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: