Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Jeet Kune Do / Way of the intercepting fist Reply with quote

How similar is JKD to your martial art style?

Here are some samples:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jCLS9mCcRk0

Does the sample video look like JKD or something else?

Do you incorporate JKD in to your personal style?

Have you ever sparred with a JKD practitioner?

Did Bruce Lee have an influence on you becoming a martial artist?

How different is JKD to Wing Chun and what are those differences?

How different is JKD compared to your main style?

Are JKD concepts difficult to comprehend or understand?

Do you believe JKD is mostly a standup striking type of martial art?

Is JKD a useful method of self defense or should it stay in motion picture industry?

Is it right to call Bruce Lee the father of MMA?

Why do you think, Bruce Lee's quotes are used very often by none JKD martial artists?

Has Bruce Lee's influence on martial arts been a good thing or perhaps not?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say my style isn't similar at all. But, something I've always loved about JKD, is that it is made up primarily of concepts, and regardless of what your style or techniques are, one can learn to apply the concepts of JKD to what one practices.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeet Kune Do favors formlessness so it can assume all forms and since Jeet Kune Do has no style, it can fit in with all styles.
As a result, Jeet Kune Do utilizes all ways and is bound by none and, likewise, uses any techniques or means which serve its end.

Bruce Lee

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Jeet Kune Do / Way of the intercepting fist Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

Very similar, yet at times, not so similar.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Does the sample video look like JKD or something else?

Yes, but oftentimes, it doesn't.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Do you incorporate JKD in to your personal style?

In both my personal style, as well as in Shindokan, but that is an unauthorized addition from Soke and Dai-Soke, even though I incorporate what I felt was effective from JKD while I'm teaching at the Hombu, right in front of them...they weren't too happy; they left me alone.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Have you ever sparred with a JKD practitioner?

Yes; many times. But I must say this, I believe that what they offered me was their interpretation of JKD, which is cool because Bruce said to "take what is useful, and discard the rest!!"; often imitated but rarely duplicated, which I suppose is cool too.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Did Bruce Lee have an influence on you becoming a martial artist?

No. I didn't know who Bruce Lee was in the year I started learning Shindokan; October 1964. I didn't start to become aware of who he was until I saw him at the 1967 Long Beach International Karate Championship.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
How different is JKD to Wing Chun and what are those differences?

They're both different. Imho, Wing Chun is more of a style, whereas, JKD isn't a style. By that I mean, Wing Chun is more of a stiff wind that goes where it's suppose to, whereas, JKD is more of a flowing wind that goes wherever it wants unrestricted.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
How different is JKD compared to your main style?

I refer you back to question #1, at the top of my post.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Are JKD concepts difficult to comprehend or understand?

No.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Do you believe JKD is mostly a standup striking type of martial art?

No.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Is JKD a useful method of self defense or should it stay in motion picture industry?

Depending on the JKD practitioner, it is a useful method of self-defense. Otherwise, then it's not worth being in the motion picture industry.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Is it right to call Bruce Lee the father of MMA?

It's the right of any individual to believe whatever they want to. If one wants to believe that Bruce is the father of MMA, then let it be so. If one wants to believe that Bruce is not the father of MMA, then let it be so. Again, perception is everything.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Why do you think, Bruce Lee's quotes are used very often by none JKD martial artists?

Because his quotes are applicable to all MAists no matter their core style.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Has Bruce Lee's influence on martial arts been a good thing or perhaps not?

I can only speak intelligent to that as far as by what I believe, not what others might believe. For me, yes, Bruce's influence on the MA is a good thing.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUCE LEE'S 10 RULES FOR SUCCESS

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u7tL8fK6tjA

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Jeet Kune Do / Way of the intercepting fist Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

Here are some samples:

Does the sample video look like JKD or something else? Mostly, but there's some TKD-type stuff in there

Do you incorporate JKD in to your personal style? It pretty much IS, but I would call it an approach, not a style

Have you ever sparred with a JKD practitioner? Yes

Did Bruce Lee have an influence on you becoming a martial artist? Not directly

How different is JKD to Wing Chun and what are those differences? Wing Chun was a basis. JKD added in boxing and fencing principles.

How different is JKD compared to your main style? From my original style, night & day.

Are JKD concepts difficult to comprehend or understand? It's the implementation that is difficult. I don't believe JKD is suitable for beginners.

Do you believe JKD is mostly a standup striking type of martial art? As it was practiced by Bruce Lee, yes

Is JKD a useful method of self defense or should it stay in motion picture industry? Yes, refer to Lee's book on self defense. It's a poor question because what he did in the movies doesn't accurately represent JKD?

Is it right to call Bruce Lee the father of MMA? Of course not. Long before him there were "combination men" who were both boxers and wrestlers, and Asian arts such as jujitsu and Hapkido that integrated striking, throws, grappling.

Why do you think, Bruce Lee's quotes are used very often by none JKD martial artists? Because he was a philosophy student and very quotable

Has Bruce Lee's influence on martial arts been a good thing or perhaps not? That's like asking if Jimi Hendrix had a good influence on rock guitar.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzKicker wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

Here are some samples:

Does the sample video look like JKD or something else? Mostly, but there's some TKD-type stuff in there

Do you incorporate JKD in to your personal style? It pretty much IS, but I would call it an approach, not a style

How different is JKD to Wing Chun and what are those differences? Wing Chun was a basis. JKD added in boxing and fencing principles.

How different is JKD compared to your main style? From my original style, night & day.

Are JKD concepts difficult to comprehend or understand? It's the implementation that is difficult. I don't believe JKD is suitable for beginners.

Do you believe JKD is mostly a standup striking type of martial art? As it was practiced by Bruce Lee, yes

Is JKD a useful method of self defense or should it stay in motion picture industry? Yes, refer to Lee's book on self defense. It's a poor question because what he did in the movies doesn't accurately represent JKD?

Is it right to call Bruce Lee the father of MMA? Of course not. Long before him there were "combination men" who were both boxers and wrestlers, and Asian arts such as jujitsu and Hapkido that integrated striking, throws, grappling.

Why do you think, Bruce Lee's quotes are used very often by none JKD martial artists? Because he was a philosophy student and very quotable

Has Bruce Lee's influence on martial arts been a good thing or perhaps not? That's like asking if Jimi Hendrix had a good influence on rock guitar.

Isn't TKD something Bruce Lee learned?

How does your JDK approach differ from a style?

What did you learn from sparring with a JKD practioner?

If not directly, then was it an indirect influence through popular culture?

Are there other principles in JKD not mentioned?

Does your original style fit in with your JKD approach?

If JKD isn't suitable for beginners then how should they start their martial art journey?

Bruce Lee used what works for him, wouldn't that include grappling also?

Are there two types of JKD that Bruce lee practiced, one for the street and the other for the movies?

Is calling Bruce Lee "The father of MMA" just a way of promoting it in our day and age?

Why is it, that those that don't practice JKD quote it, when it can conflict with there style?

Bruce Lee had many enemies while he was alive, due to teaching none Chinese, could he have prevented this from happening by just keeping JKD in the movies?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that Bruce insisted that the individual should take what is useful, and discard the rest, exactly what does JKD look like?!? The core might be there, but JKD is different for each practitioner.

Imho!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Seeing that Bruce insisted that the individual should take what is useful, and discard the rest, exactly what does JKD look like?!? The core might be there, but JKD is different for each practitioner.

Imho!!

JKD should look alive, in the moment, letting the tools strike effortlessly, not having any preconceptions of winning or losing.

JKD practitioners should have emotional content when striking the opponent, fearless, using what ever tool that works for that individual.

JKD shouldn't look like a style, but rather more like an individual's self expression, moving naturally without having traditional martial art hallmarks.

JKD is an avenue by which cutting away flowery or unnecessary movements leads to efficient and effective fighting skills.

JKD is difficult to learn, due to most people are busy copying or mimicking others, when being original as we all are born to be, is chipped away due to accepting organized conformity belief systems and styles.

JKD involves continually refining and improving on oneself with an open mind, purged of discrimination against likes and dislike, rather always searching for the truth, as this is what sets us free.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term "Intercepting fist/foot" is a Wing Chun concept that Bruce Lee has labeled as his way "Jeet Kune Do"

Also the now ever popular "The Bruce Lee one inch punch" is also Wing Chun; perhaps not very well known, is that it is a self defense system unto itself.

Trapping JKD hand techniques, are also Wing Chun, to practice JKD without Wing Chun knowledge or experience, is just eating the icing on the cake without tasting the ingredients supporting it.

It is easier for those that practice Wing Chun to comprehend JKD, if they have the desire, parents know and recognize their own children, those that practice JKD are orphans, if they neglect their Wing Chun heritage.

It could be asked, why practice Wing Chun if JKD is an improvement of it?"

Answer: "This is like the children trying to teach the parents on how to make babies"

Parents always want the best for their children, yes they the children will surpass their parents... this is the nature of things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: