Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to realise that there are Japanese translations and then there are Okinawan translations. The Jitte translation in Okinawa is ten hands. The Japanese referred to it as something else.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Gloi, I tried.

I have seen speculation that all three "respect" katas, jutte, jiin and jion, may have at one time been one kata such as naihanchi or tekki was once one kata.

Reactions? Opinions?

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sai

I also once heard that the three 'respect' katas did start as one kata, but I don't have much information to base this on.

C ya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Gloi
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: 1st dan Shotokan, 1st kup TKD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found those video files at last they are here:

http://www.isok.org/jutte_bo/

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The name Jutte is a combination of the character for the number ten and the character for hand, as in kara-TE. When using ten in this fashion, the Japanese sometimes pronounce the number ten with a ji sound instead of the ju sound. For example, if you do something ten times, the Japanese will say you have done it "jikkai." Also common after using the number ten to count things is a hard consonant - the tte is pronounced with a slight choke on the t's.

Jutte/Jitte means Ten Hands. Ten Hands is said to imply that one must have the strength of ten men in Nakayama's Best Karate Volume 7, but there is no logical basis or source material for that loose interpretation.

The two words Jitte and Jutte are interchangeable, but if the name of the kata is written with the character for technology instead of ten, then Jutte will mean "Technology Hands" or "Technique Hands." Jutte is a homonym that is comprised of the kanji for technique and the kanji for hand.

There is also some speculation that the kata name refers to the jitte weapon that Japanese police often carried 200 years ago. This weapon consisted of a pointed metal rod with a single appendage designed to catch a sword blade if used properly. The motions of the arms in Jutte are said to represent this weapon. In fact the name for this weapon is written as "Ten Hands." The arm postures also known as mountain postures look like this device. They also resemble the character for mountain.

Could it be that the name of the kata refers to the jitte weapon, and that it offers clues for fighting as if a human jitte: hooking and pulling away the enemy's weapon?

Jutte/Jitte is a kata that could almost be performed using a staff or rod. However, some of the techniques have, of course, been stylized to the point that the motions necessary to continue using the staff throughout the kata are difficult to interpret at present. I have never understood why everyone insisted that this kata was actually a kata designed to be performed with a staff. Other than a couple of suspicious techniques where it seems you are obviously taking away or using a staff, the majority of the techniques are not indicative of staff fighting techniques. "

Bits of an article about the Kata...

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiggy

Nice one....I think that article puts across some good points.

C ya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so there ends the discussion

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2002 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another link to a clip of Jitte from Kansas City Shotokan Club. http://www.kc-karate.com/karate/kata/jutte.htm

And katas being spread all over Asia as the martial arts are the Korean's call this kata: Ship Su, Ja Soo or Sip Soo.

Ah Karateka the discussion about kata never ends. It is possible to do a kata for years and then suddenly have a light bulb go off and see new aspects to the kata.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about Jitte when you have been training for at least 15 years.

Its an advanced Kata and theres more in it than face value
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: