Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Jodan Uke Reply with quote

Leaving the whole "no such thing as blocks" argument aside. A student asked why anyone would actually use this in a real fight.

I thought about this and for me the answer is "I wouldn't use it".

In terms of an actual block would any of you use this in a real situation? If so explain why.

Note: For you other old school traditionalists, the premise of this question is would you use it as a block (as in modern Karate's perception of the Kata) . I know some will automatically say they would use it correctly as a strike, throw, deflection, redirection, etc. Block only.

How about Gedan Uke or Barai?

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could and should be used if it can do two either of its two main intended purposes which are: disrupting an attack by interrupting it or deflecting it. Creating an opening to through which to counter.

All the uke or so-called blocks in Okinawan karate were meant to be used this way along with the principle that offense/defense is done in the same movement. This is why it can be said that there are no « blocks ».

« Uke » means exactly to “receive” in Japanese. In karate one should recieve an attack and exploit it to one’s advantage rather than attempt to “stop” it. There seems to be more sense in this than thinking in terms of “blocks” using power colliding with power to stop a strike.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In terms of an actual block would any of you use this in a real situation? If so explain why.

Yes!!

Why??

Because it's available to use!!

Why not??

Imagine me not using any available part that made my car to be my car!! If I've not ever used it, that doesn't mean that I shouldn't or can't use it, it just means that I choose to not use it, like cruise control, until I need to use it. One day, I decide to use my cruise control, and it helps me. I'm glad that it was available for me to use, even if I never use it again.

Why not use the mirror in my bathroom, especially, when it's in the bathroom for a reason of convenience?!

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would, and have, although as a fairly tall person, I don't use it all that often. Gedan-uke/barai tends to be more prevalent for me.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Last edited by Wastelander on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age uke I'm not so sure about, but like the answers others have given. As for Gedan barai, I definitely see use for it against kicks and possibly punches too, depending on the scenario.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of an actual block, I'm not a fan.

I am surprised to read most of the responses. This particular, among others, technique has baffled me for years. I have never found a reason to use this this technique in terms of an actual "block".

I'll have to think about the possible reasons why one would use this in actual combat before commenting on why I would not. I'll get back to ya.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I come from, all the basic blocks - jodan uke, chudan uchi-uke, chudan soto uke, and gedan brai - are done with 2 hands. Once they were done proficiently and after a bit more experience, my former sensei taught them as using the seemingly non-blocking hand as a deflection and/or grab, and the “blocking” arm as a joint lock or strike.

For example, a chudan uchi-uke is started with both hands coming across the chest (like hugging yourself), with the “blocking” arm below the re-chambering arm. The “blocking” arm comes out with the elbow bent, and the fist is roughly shoulder height and, and elbow close to the torso and bent about 45 degrees. The other hand simultaneously goes back to chamber.

I put “blocking” arm in quotes, because the actual blocking arm is the other arm. As it’s crossing the body, it reflects the punch and can grab the opponent’s arm. After the grab, the rechamber can be pulling the arm in while the other “blocking” arm strikes whatever’s in its path or goes across the back of the opponent’s elbow, locking it and possibly breaking or dislocating it. I wish I could find video I used that example because it seemed the easiest to describe. Follow that block’s logic, and apply it to the rest of those blocks.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Where I come from, all the basic blocks - jodan uke, chudan uchi-uke, chudan soto uke, and gedan brai - are done with 2 hands. Once they were done proficiently and after a bit more experience, my former sensei taught them as using the seemingly non-blocking hand as a deflection and/or grab, and the “blocking” arm as a joint lock or strike.

There it is. Right on tract.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
JR 137 wrote:

There it is. Right on tract.

Exactly!
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly used as a block, only against an attack that is coming straight down to the top of your head, like a hammer blow coming straight down. Otherwise, I like to strike with it straight up into the neck area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: