Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

rhilllakefield
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ishinryu Karate, Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Joining new style. Offer self demotion? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I've trained for a couple of decades, and after a few year layoff, I'd like to start training regularly and making Karate a bigger part of my life again.

I know the head instructor of the local Chito Ryu school well, and have a lot of respect for the school.

I'm a blackbelt in British Ishinryu, and have been previously invited to train at this school as a blackbelt.

After some physio I'm ready to train full time....but not full speed due to a knee that still needs work. I've also felt that the established black belts that have been with the club have more of a right to train as blackbelts because of their tenure.

How do the senior ranks on this site feel about me offering to being at a lower rank? On my end, it would help me train without feeling like a fraud, and also give me focus and drive to learn the new kata and slight differences in technique.

Thoughts?

Id be happy to continue to train as a Shodan, but thought I'd put it out there.

champ8309
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Joining new style. Offer self demotion? Reply with quote

rhilllakefield wrote:
Hi folks,

I've trained for a couple of decades, and after a few year layoff, I'd like to start training regularly and making Karate a bigger part of my life again.

I know the head instructor of the local Chito Ryu school well, and have a lot of respect for the school.

I'm a blackbelt in British Ishinryu, and have been previously invited to train at this school as a blackbelt.

After some physio I'm ready to train full time....but not full speed due to a knee that still needs work. I've also felt that the established black belts that have been with the club have more of a right to train as blackbelts because of their tenure.

How do the senior ranks on this site feel about me offering to being at a lower rank? On my end, it would help me train without feeling like a fraud, and also give me focus and drive to learn the new kata and slight differences in technique.

Thoughts?

Id be happy to continue to train as a Shodan, but thought I'd put it out there.

Dear rhilllakefield-senpai,
I may just be a sankyu, but I know that feeling. While you should consult with your sensei at the Chito-Ryu school, I have a proposal for both of you. If you manage to pass the black belt test of that school, then you can wear the kuro-obi. If you do not pass it, at least the teacher knows, where you are at. If he sees your potential, then he can tell you what belt you should wear. I hope this somehow helps to decide this matter, because you are a black belt and that should stay. You are a shodan and you have your potential. So you need a belt that fits your potential in that school. And that belt can be decided by your sensei.

rhilllakefield
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ishinryu Karate, Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you champ8309. Much appreciated.

I think we may find a common ground, and that I would wear my existing belt, but eventually grade for a Chito-Ryu shodan.

Time will tell, and I'll report back.

Ryan

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not graded in Chito-ryu, and while Rank is forever, you should wear a white belt. Nonetheless, speak with that Chito-ryu CI, and conform to his requirements.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot add anything to what has already been advised. I just wanted to wish you luck on your return to training. Hope your report back is positive news.

A Rarely Used Blog:
An Uncertain Path

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a chat with the instructor, just ask him rather than offering anything. Some things that might influence the decision are how formal or traditional the school is, and if there are other adult black belts. i think isshinryu forms are different from shito-ryu, too, so that might set you back.
I first started in karate decades ago at a shito-ryu club, the instructor was from Japan where it was a collegiate sport. i got up to 2nd kyu brown belt before I transferred away to college, and hooked up with a new Tang Sood Do club at my college. Turned out the forms where almost the same, and I was given an equivalent rank.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I might offer a small thought, please...

While on our MA journey, it's the knowledge and experience, and not any rank, that we diligently search after. Any CI worth their salt will see that knowledge and experience no matter what's wrapped around ones waist.

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it was already said it depends on what the teacher in this school decides.
When I changed schools I had to take an exam for my equivalent rank.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a guy go from Shodan back to white belt.........Never seen anyone just "morph" across at all.

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went from TKD to Kyokushin several years ago I went from 4th Degree BB back to a white belt. Looking back on it I'm glad I did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: