Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Jon Jones wants to retire at 30... Reply with quote

Saw this the other day: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/439922/Jones-wants-to-retire-at-30-with-good-head-on-my-shoulders/

Not a bad plan, either. We'll see if he sticks to it, but at the moment, he seems pretty set.

That brings up a good point about competition in general. We have seen what results can come from Boxers with long careers, and other heavy contact sports in general, like the NFL, and how it can affect an athletes quality of life in the future. So, setting a retire date like this isn't a bad idea, especially in a sport like MMA.

Aside from that, is the "going out on top" aspect of it. How do you feel about those who appear to try to "hang on too long," and end up retiring so much lower than what they were in their prime? For me, I think its up to the fighter personally to decide this. Some just love to compete, whether they are winning or not. And if they love to compete that much, then who should decide when they are done other than them?

Anywho, just a few topics for discussion. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts? Also, I'd like to hear from any Jon Jones fans on this decision, as well.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With things like this, you just have to make the decision that you can live with. I can understand why athletes come back as long as they can, I can understand why some leave early. Neither is right or wrong, it's just their path. You don't want to wonder "what if?"

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's his choice and if that's what he wants to do, then I support him!! There's a lot of wear and tear from the sports he's involved in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: