Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a karate person by trade but I did fool arround with some Ju-Jitsu in 1998-2000. My teacher taught a method where we used a lot of pressure points while on the ground. I have not found many styles that focus on that as he did. It that normal?

He stressed taht there were 7 stages to the fight on the ground.

1. Where are you at? Meaning what can you do what can be done to you.
2. Stake in the Center. Meaning you and the one you are fighting are connected at the belly by a invisiable stake do't seperate unless you can finsih the fight.
3. Find the open sport. If you are in a lock, choke, crank, etc get out of it.
4. Rest. plan what to do and regroup.
5. Attack. Use you plan.
6. React. Based on if he acts first or his reaction to your advance.
7. Finish. End the fight with your attack or reaction ot his counterattack.

He stressed these stages were not set in stone. One could go from any number to the other and back and forth.

I have not been any other Ju-Jitsu schools there are not any in Southren West Virginia. However after viewsing a few tapes by the Gracie family and others I have not see the focus on pressure points as he done. Is this a common practice for grapplers?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by 'pressure points' exactly ?

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such as using you fingers to push in on areas of the body and cause pain. Funakoshi refers to them as Vital points. Basically were muscles meet.

I enjoyed it. Although it hurt a bit more at tiems it was much better than getting punched all the time. It also helps with self-defense.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bjjbarbie
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been doing bjj ...and though pressure points were not essentila they did add a different edge to the sport!!! our sensai was also a acupuncturist so i dont know if it is a common practise....we did however use some finger locks while in any situation aswell as getting out of someones guard useing 'spleen 10' which u all shoul know is the pressure point on the inside of ur leg just above ur knee!!! there were a few otheres but that was the extent of ours!! as i was saying our sensai also was an acupuncturist so he new the multiple pp and passed them onto us....so for other dojos im not to sure....
just to add...i have been in just a few bjj tournament and know other people from other clubs have used any.....but they may just have been circumstantial!!! well nighy night....hope this helps!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah where muscles meet. There are many different kinds of pressure points. it's now been more focused. Just wanted to point that out.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well differant people have differant ones. Sure some are universal but not all effect everyone as bad. Pretty much a safe bet is to grab where muscles meet IMO....
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: