Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

XtremeTrainer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judo is one of those arts you can do at really old ages. With an art such as Tae Kwon Do, after so many years you might start to lose flexibility and have a hard time kicking high, but with Judo, there are people in their 80s who still do Judo.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XtremeTrainer wrote:
Judo is one of those arts you can do at really old ages. With an art such as Tae Kwon Do, after so many years you might start to lose flexibility and have a hard time kicking high, but with Judo, there are people in their 80s who still do Judo.

There are people that still practice many styles into old age. But I wonder how many. start a new style in their later years.

I have two main worries about starting judo now.

1. I don't bounce quite as well as I did when I was young. I'm quite used to being thrown at the floor because we practice that in TSD, but we don't really land hard there. We're more kind of tipped over than thrown. When we've done break fall practice I tend to be, shall we say, rendered inert, if I land wrong.

2. Being a fully grown man, and quite big (big as in a bit fat, but also big as in quite well built), and with plenty of other martial arts experience, I think this may make me a person to experiment on, with the assumption that I can be smashed down to the floor without problems.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneKickWonder wrote:
XtremeTrainer wrote:

There are people that still practice many styles into old age. But I wonder how many. start a new style in their later years.

I have two main worries about starting judo now.

1. I don't bounce quite as well as I did when I was young. I'm quite used to being thrown at the floor because we practice that in TSD, but we don't really land hard there. We're more kind of tipped over than thrown. When we've done break fall practice I tend to be, shall we say, rendered inert, if I land wrong.

2. Being a fully grown man, and quite big (big as in a bit fat, but also big as in quite well built), and with plenty of other martial arts experience, I think this may make me a person to experiment on, with the assumption that I can be smashed down to the floor without problems.

I started karate at 38. Sensei blends in judo and jujitsu. We throw and get thrown. Not as hard as I see in the big tournaments, but hard enough to hurt if you breakfall wrong.

You will learn to breakfall right.

I say, try it. Give it a few months and see how your body takes to it. A good sensei will make sure you can breakfall correctly first.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: