Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you enjoy doing karate together, I wouldn't change a thing. In the long run, memories with his dad will be worth more than wrestling medals. Plus karate and wrestling will make him a more well rounded martial artist than strictly grappling.

Makaala4
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** My bad guys...my first post here, and I mess up on the title. Corrected the title, I did mean Judo or BJJ.***

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to not make mistakes is to not do anything.

Makaala4
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain: I know where you are coming from. I love training w/my son. My 7 y/o daughter also trains w/us. Its the best feeling as a father to be training w/them. My son has always been one of the smaller guys in his class (thanks to me and my Filipino blood). He probably would have been of average size if we had stayed in Hawaii w/all the Asians there, but here in the mainland he has always been the smallest guy in class, and I think his success in wrestling (competing against kids his own size and weight) has boosted his confidence.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, if it was me i'd go with a striking art, since it sounds as though the goal is to improve his wrestling.

Other grappling arts would improve his ability to grapple and give an awesome background, but a lot of those skills would involve doing things that violate the rules of Wrestling, and thus actually making things more difficult.

Thinking a lot of "I have a perfect opening for this.. move that involves me laying on my back and losing a point.." is not going to help in wrestling competition.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JusticeZero wrote:
I dunno, if it was me i'd go with a striking art, since it sounds as though the goal is to improve his wrestling.

Other grappling arts would improve his ability to grapple and give an awesome background, but a lot of those skills would involve doing things that violate the rules of Wrestling, and thus actually making things more difficult.

Thinking a lot of "I have a perfect opening for this.. move that involves me laying on my back and losing a point.." is not going to help in wrestling competition.

i agree with this, you tend to look at opposites here and you already do Karate so its sorted

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing everyone has a different opinion on this! The disclaimer or obviousness is that you want to pick whichever art has the most competent instructor and best environment available to you. I'll assume that all things are equal and it's a matter of "what's better."

His particular brand of wrestling is probably freestyle, which is a great thing to know how to do. I think the perfect supplement to this is Greco-Roman wrestling. The techniques of Greco, in my opinion are both more effective, and safer than what you see most of the time in freestyle. Of course, that's not an option here...

Judo isn't as easy to find quality instruction in as BJJ, due to the former's growing popularity. BJJ would help him grow a lot in his ability to move on the ground, and BJJ would help him with balance and standing maneuverability. They're probably equally beneficial to a wrestler. That said, I think he should learn both in the course of his life, and my opinion is that learning Judo before BJJ is a natural progression.

Also, he's young. Grappling arts seem to lend themselves well to youngsters, and from a combative standpoint, give them lots of options beyond their fists. I'm actually starting Judo in June when the next available class opens up.

vantheman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do something simply called NoGi Submission Wrestling, also known as grappling. It takes from folk wrestling, BJJ, Judo, among others. Some of the kids in my class do wrestle, and they seem to enjoy it and do well in it.

VTM

Makaala4
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liver Punch wrote:
Also, he's young. Grappling arts seem to lend themselves well to youngsters, and from a combative standpoint, give them lots of options beyond their fists. I'm actually starting Judo in June when the next available class opens up.

Liver Punch: Leaning towards Judo myself. My son and I should be starting the same time as you in June, as the Wrestling and school year is finished the end of May. Keep us busy over the summer...Karate Tues and Thurs, Judo on Wed and Fri.

Open minded
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate, judo, jujitsu, ninjisu, wing chun kung fu, JKD, MMA, Aikido, Boxing, Kick Boxing, street fighting, tai chi

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judo good for wresting as they are both grappling sports and throwing sports
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: