Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kodakmint
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: American Freestyle Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself would choose judo, because it seems like a more traditional art.

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta go with Judo on this one, but it depends on the quality of instruction. Here, I am blessed with a world class coach and most of our kids, that want to, enter wrestling and do very well.

I have very limited BJJ experience. Been to a couple of classes, rolled with several practitioners, and went to a couple of clinics is literally all the experience I have with the art. However I can tell you that all of the practitioners I have rolled with that did not also train in Judo or Wrestling had terrible takedowns/throws and defenses against them that involved going to the back which is bad for wrestling.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can find places to let him visit and try both options and see what he likes best.

DaveAbramson
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting responses.. In my opinion BJJ is a bit more brutal and I think the Gracies did a good job of demonstrating that in the early UFCs! But it's just my opinion...

shanny_kimura
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kodokan Judo, ITF TaeKwonDo, Kyokushin Karate, Shotokan Karate, Kenpo Karate, Yoshinkan Aikido, Boxing, Muay-Thai & Wrestling

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats ! And it all depends what you're looking for. Judo would help the wrestling quite a bit. There is also Ne-Waza (ground fighting) in Judo also. So you would get great knowledge that would only help the wrestling along with some ground fighting techniques. BJJ on the other hand would be great too. BJJ would be good if you're in a vulnerable position in wrestling and somehow manage to sweep or escape your opponent. Judo and BJJ ground game is much different. Judo is more about pinning your opponent into a dominate position while BJJ would be a lot of techniques off your back and so on. You're getting the best of both worlds either way ! Good luck with the Wresling bud !
Gracie Jiu-Jitsu black belt - Kodokan Judo 2nd Dan black belt - ITF TaeKwonDo black belt - Kyokushin Karate black belt - Shotokan Karate black belt - Kenpo Karate 4th Dan black belt - Yoshinkan Aikido brown belt

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judo seems more similar to wrestling. It'd probably be better for his wrestling than BJJ would be. If it's not just about competing, you should put him on bjj for a little while too, so he learns a little more about how to defend himself on his back (which he probably won't learn as much in wrestling).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: