Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that they are similuar in ways, but what are the main differences? I think Judo is more for people who want to Compete like a wrestler would, while Aikido is for people who want to learn meditation and self defense... I may not have a clue, so fill me in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2001 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're made a little mistake. You should be comparing Judo and Ju-jitsu.

Remember....judo is really the competitive form of ju-jitsu

Keep on asking

C ya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup

judo = gentle way
ju jitsu = gentle combat

www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Aikidoka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tomiki Aikido

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judo derives from jujutsu and aikido derives from aiki-jujutsu. Aiki-jujutsu was a very secret and deadly style of jujutsu taught only to the heirs of samurai families, which was then modernised into aikido. Judo covers mainly the sport side of martial arts, while aikido has both sporting and traditional sides.

If you just compare them as sports, judo deals with the grappling/throwing side of jujutsu and aikido deals with the striking/joint locking side. The founder of sport aikido, Kenji Tomiki, was one of Jigaro Kano's finest students before Kano 'gave' him to Morihei Ueshiba (the founder of aikido).

The traditional side of aikido includes a Zen mind-set, meditation and sword and staff technique. As far as I know, modern judo does not retain these things.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: