Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jukadowarrior
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Jukado Reply with quote

AreJay47 wrote:
My Aunt's, Shihan Jennifer Viernes, Husband's, Grand Master Allan Viernes, family ARE the founders of JUKADO, a blend of Judo, Karate, Kung-Fu, and Aikido. Their current school is in Westbrook Maine and is called The Greater Portland School of JUKADO. If you go to their website you will see the history of the school and its founder. Allan Viernes, my uncle, is the current Grand Master and his mother Grand Master Terry Suyom Mayer founded the art in 1972. Grand Master Allan Viernes is also a highly decorated veteran of the United States Army and spent his time as an Army Ranger. He is also an inducted member of The World Martial Arts Hall of Fame. In 2000 he was actually named instructor of the year by The World Martial Arts Hall of Fame. Now, some of you have mentioned Bruce Tegner and that he founded JUKADO, this is a mistake. Bruce Tegner formed a blend of Judo, Jiu Jitsu, Karate, Savate Yawara, Aikido, and Ate-Waza. What you have confused is Bruce Tegner's martial arts name, it is not JUKADO, his is JUDOKA. If some of you claim to have trained under him then you would surely know the name of his art form. The internet is full of some crazy things, all things considered it is still a great source for the truth. Do a little research and you will see for yourself the answers that you seek.
And you sir are very wrong.Bruce Tegener founded the art of Jukado in 1963 (page 23 of his book) which was originally printed in March of 1968 both events which predate the founding of what ever it is your school is teaching.Thus Bruce Tegner is the legitimate founder of Jukado as an art and as a name.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first books I owned (in English) on the MA was Complete book of Jujutsu. Still own it.

I have several books that Bruce Tegner authored; Karate beginner to black belt, Aikido and Bokata, Self Defense, Stick Fighting, a nerve and pressure point book and a Kung Fu & Tai Chi book that is missing it's cover and about four or five pages. All are from the 70's and 80's.

Back in the day his concepts were 180 degrees different than the main stream but I will say his books were well written and had(have) a lot of good information in them.

A former student of mine lent me a book, that if memory serves me was along the lines of forms of different martial arts and another book on self defense for police.

One of my old instructors had a book on Judo and said it was very good.

Not sure how many arts the man studied but it must have been a lot.

Jukadowarrior
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: No need for correction Reply with quote

AreJay47 wrote:
I never said he didn't write a book called JUKADO I said his form of martial art was not called JUKADO. I was simply stating that his main form and expertise was in JUDOKA (JUDO). He wrote hundreds of books and pamphlets on self-defense for men, women, and children. His book on JUKADO wasn't a formal martial art at the time that book was written. JUKADO was officially started in 1972 and not by Bruce Tegner. So there was no need to apologize for the correction, nor was it actually a correction. You are right there was a one book written by Bruce called JUKADO, but like I said it wasn't a form of martial art then. Otherwise all his books would be titled JUKADO, if it were HIS martial art.
Bruce Tegner's book on Jukado was originally published in 1968 and in it he states he officially founded Jukado in 1963...much farther back then your jukado

Jukadowarrior
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bruce Tegner Reply with quote

AreJay47 wrote:
If I am not mistaken, wasn't Bruce Tegner's book Complete Book of Jukado Self-Defense published in 1974? He obviously had been training for many years in Judo and other various forms of martial arts, but his book on JUKADO was published in 1974 according to the book itself. This would fall after the year of 1972 when the first JUKADO school in the United States was started. That school was in Vermont and was started by Grand Master Terry Suyom Mayer. There was also a well known practitioner of JUKADO named Kevin Orcutt, a police officer, who was from New Hampshire that is well known for his implementation of self defense into police departments.
no his book on Jukado was originally published in 1968,and it is stated that he founded Jukado in 1963 and that it is based on Judo Karate and aikido
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: