Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I approach Kanku Dai I once again face the jump. Due to the ms I no longer possess the ability to jump. In Heian Godan I am in the air about an inch before I land in the final Kosa dachi.

In Rohai I have a problem with the 360 spin in the crescent kick. I solved this problem with an extra step.

Any input on how I might adapt some of the upcoming katas to my abilities?

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry, I have no clue.

If you ever figure out a way, let me know so I could pass it on to others.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

bagpuss
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry can't help but your not the only one.
Heian Godan is the kata im learning and it is doing my head in, The jump is ok but landing in the front stance is a killer. Also the groin grab I think im going to low. now im worried as my grading is only two weeks away.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaiFights

May I ask what style of karate you practice?

In our style, Kanku-Dai contains no jump - it is Kanku-Sho that does.

In Meikyo (Rohai) the jump doesn't really need to be particulary high - but sorry, no tips from me - I just do it (not very well I might add )

I dont really know what to say - just keep trying I suppose?

C ya

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

winterkarate
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont really have any advice for you apart from modify the katas to suit your own needs and if need be try the kata without the jump by adding a step, but ok this with your sensei first.

hope i could be of some help,

W.K.

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I am in a Shotokan school. We do Rohai as a result of a prior association with a Hayash- ai hai Shi-to ryu group. In time Rohai will be phased out of our curriculum.

The point I am thinking of as a jumping kick towards the end of the kata (going towards the back of the room) may also be viewed as a double kick.

The more I look at information and the further along I go in Karate the more I see that some of the splits among karate pioneers in the past result in a lot of difference now among practitioners of the same style.

We have one guy in the dojo who loves to practice Heian godan by jumping over a chair at that point in the kata. Hey, he jumps over grocery cart's in the store too. Or so says his mother.

Seriously, as I stay involved in karate I do run into things from time to time that are more difficult than other's for me to execute well. I do things now I never imagined that I would be able to do 6 years now. At times I do find the challange a bit frustrating, but on the whole I love the challange more.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaiFights

Sorry, I got mixed up. I thought the jump refered to the spinning jump in Kanku-sho, not the double kick.

Funakoshi changed the name Rohai to Meiyko (sp?) I think, so if you do Shotokan, it should be called Meiyko.

I could be wrong

C ya

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias I have been looking at several katas in more detail recently. It seems differences abound. For example I have found at least 10 ways different Shotokan groups do Bassai Dai.
All of the ways are obviously Bassai Dai and most of the differences are small. But it is amazing how many groups do moves in different stances at the same points in the katas.

In a way it seems each "expert" who broke from their master added their own touches to what they learned. Rivalry among groups also spawned differences. It is really interesting.

I am not looking for my own style or anything, just a way to do my katas to the best of my abilities. I kind of think by looking around and seeing how others do the same thing I might gain a bit of insight.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias I have been looking at several katas in more detail recently. It seems differences abound. For example I have found at least 10 ways different Shotokan groups do Bassai Dai.
All of the ways are obviously Bassai Dai and most of the differences are small. But it is amazing how many groups do moves in different stances at the same points in the katas.

In a way it seems each "expert" who broke from their master added their own touches to what they learned. Rivalry among groups also spawned differences. It is really interesting.

I am not looking for my own style or anything, just a way to do my katas to the best of my abilities. I kind of think by looking around and seeing how others do the same thing I might gain a bit of insight.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sai

Yes, I know there are many different ways of doing katas. And yes, I have seen tens of different ways of doing Bassai-dai as well.

Recently, at a competition I was refereeing, I saw a kid perform Hangetsu in Kiba-dachi. All the judges looked at each other, but we couldn't fail the kid because it was just a modification.

Its so confusing

C ya

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: