Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then, by some of the posts, my style and myself are WRONG because we, Shindokan, issues JBB to those karateka's that are between the ages of 13 - 17, even before our reasons are truly understood, and/or, respected by the masses. It's just our way, but, it appears to me that that's not acceptable to those outside of the Shindokan Hombu!

It's all good!

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because we don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong. My biggest pet peeve is young kids (6-12) that wear black belts.

If that's ok in your (anybody's) dojo, then that's fine. For me though, I see those kids and it makes me laugh because of what I personally think a black belt represents and means.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with the practice of kids ages 6-12 wearing a full fledged black belt, but it's there way and I can't prevent it, nor do I want to.

Our JBB's aren't full fleged black belts in the sense that adults are, both of thier curriculums/testings leading up to the JBB/Yudansha are different across the board.

Last edited by sensei8 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
And what are the emotional responsibilities that come with being a black belt?????? Lots of people mention this, but never elaborate, so I am interested in what others have to say.

I've personally come to the point that I don't agree with the term "junior" black belt. A style should either have an age requirement for black belt or not, and stick with it.

AGREED! To me, a black belt symbolizes the skill level of the person wearing it, and that person should be able to handle themselves against the majority of people they should encounter on the street This includes ADULTS! Under that definition (MY definition), a 6-15 year old kid wouldn't qualify except under an extremely rare circumstance.

And I don't see anything wrong with your viewpoint. I think that when one makes this decision, one needs to be on one side of the fence or the other. Playing a middle ground doesn't really help out anyone.

Evil Dave
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wherever I go this is an emotional topic, specially having a blackbelt under 16/18. In the school I came up in, we have an adult system and a junior system. There was a adult and junior program with the main difference being the adults having a self-defense program and divulging deeper into the bunkai of the various kata. The one nice thing about this school was that we did spend a lot of time with the teenagers working on leadership and training skills.

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm summarizing what I stated in an earlier post, but here's how I see it.

In BJJ, you can't earn a Black Belt before you're 18 years old. Once you earn it, you simply are a black belt. Age plays no part in rank from that point on. So an 18 year old black belt is not considered any less than a 28 year old black belt.

This statement is similar in my Shotokan school. An 18 year old black belt does not rank below a 28 year old black belt. They are simply black belts.

It, therefore, baffles me as to why a 14 or 10 or 6 year old black belt, who met the exact same testing requirements, should receive any different treatment.

It just makes more sense to me to simply not allow them to earn a black belt until you're going to give them all the honors and respect that comes with the rank.

For me it's this simple; If they aren't old enough to serve my country in war...they can't be a black belt.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps1 wrote:
For me it's this simple; If they aren't old enough to serve my country in war...they can't be a black belt.

Not a bad way to look at it here.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
ps1 wrote:

Not a bad way to look at it here.

Agreed, that is a perfect way to sum it up.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

madtanker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do/Hapkido

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Black belt... Reply with quote

I believe firmly (and this does not come from a master martial artist, but a master sharpshooter and former security enforcement expert) that a belt no more symbolizes OVERALL maturity than a license to drive, a CCW (CHL, CPL, license to carry) etc. We have all seen incidents where 'responsible' adults mess up when defending themselves, or understanding the law.
It is up to the teacher of the art to understand when the artist is truly a master of the art before bestowing the responsibility of mastery. It is also up to the teacher to ensure emotional understanding of what that responsibility carries with it. (My understanding is that a 'black belt' carries with it a license to kill in self defense, although I do not know if this is true or not; I am a novice to the internal workings of MA).
Maturity and responsibility have very little to do with how many years you have dragged your body around this rock we live on, and much to do with the person's internal maturity level. I know 40 year-olds that I would never certify as an expert in firearms even if they could shoot the eye out of a body target at 100 yards. I also know a 13 year-old that I would trust with me if I needed a backup in a gun-fight.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Black belt... Reply with quote

madtanker wrote:
(and this does not come from a master martial artist, but a master sharpshooter and former security enforcement expert)

Umm, sounds like a martial artist to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: