Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kumite988
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Just a quick question Reply with quote

Do you guys think that bruce lee can stand a chance against today's UFC, pride....etc fighters? Sakuraba is actually the one I had in mind, but whatever, I was just wondering.....

iolair
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, Ju Jitsu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Just a quick question Reply with quote

Kumite988 wrote:
Do you guys think that bruce lee can stand a chance against today's UFC, pride....etc fighters? Sakuraba is actually the one I had in mind, but whatever, I was just wondering.....

Stand a chance? Certainly... But given development in training methods etc., the odds would be stacked against him somewhat. In reality of course, there's no real way to know how he would have got on...

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No

Fa-Jing
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Hsing Yi , Ba Kua , Wing Chun, Iron Palm,Monkey, Ect...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UFC is the biggest scam. IT's a really good example of people doing bad examples of there arts if that. I bet could find a 95 year old 4 f hight Chines guy that could wipe the floor with em all and win.lol
THERE ARE ARTS THAT UFC WON'T LET ENTER UFC, so how can it really be UFC. DON'T bother to flame me its true and i won't replay.
if Bruce were alive today he would be a lot better than he was in the 70's.

" You punch like a pig and kick like a dog!"

Lee
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I would have to agree, Bruce would definately be a much better Martial Artist if he were here now but also one out of his prime. But if there were some magical way you could transport Bruce from '73 to the present I'd doubt he'd even enter the UFC the same way he wouldn't enter Karate tournaments of his day...because of rules and restrictions. Although he'd probably try any NHB stuff in a heartbeat.
"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. Put water into a tea pot, it becomes the tea pot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend."
- Bruce Lee

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far too open ended a question, with may too much speculation needed to develop an opinion.

IF he was around, would he have stuck to what he was doing, or encorporated more JJ? Would he have changed training methods, or stuck to what he knew 30 yrs ago?

There's no may to be sure, because no one can guess what HE would have done. Besides, I'm not even sure if the question is being ask about when he was at his peak, or if he aged normally.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fa-Jing wrote:
UFC is the biggest scam. IT's a really good example of people doing bad examples of there arts if that. I bet could find a 95 year old 4 f hight Chines guy that could wipe the floor with em all and win.lol
THERE ARE ARTS THAT UFC WON'T LET ENTER UFC, so how can it really be UFC. DON'T bother to flame me its true and i won't replay.
if Bruce were alive today he would be a lot better than he was in the 70's.

" You punch like a pig and kick like a dog!"

Quote:
IT's a really good example of people doing bad examples of there arts if that

I will tear your weak post apart real quick-

Here are a few examples of "poor" representation by the old schoold guys off the top of my head

-Gerard Gordaue-Savate/Muay Thai-European Savate Champion
-Patrick Smith-TKD/Karate-Sabaki Challenge winner 1989 and K-1 veteran.
-Christopeher Lininger-Judo-two time U.S. National Judo Champion
-Dan Severn-Wrestling-Holds Dozens of Greco-Roman wrestling Belts/titles across the world.
-Remco Pardoe-Judo/Jiu jitsu-8 time dutch jiu jitsu champion/2 time judo champion
-Oleg Taktarov-Sambo- multi time European Sambo Champion
-Art Jimmerson-Boxing- ranked in the top 15 in the world at that time.
-Ichihara-Japanese Full contact Karate Champion
-Ken Shamrock-A very accomplished Shootfighter in Japan
-Kevin Rosier Was a Super heavyweight US kickboxing Champion
-There were also several Sumo Wrestlers that were quite assomplished in their fields.

Funny with All of these world/national champions you would think some of them might paint an accurate picture of their stlye.\

there was plenty of talent in the UFC. If a certain stlyle never did well there was proabably a reason.

Quote:
I bet could find a 95 year old 4 f hight Chines guy that could wipe the floor with em all and win.lol

I almost forget that there are actually still people out there that think like this...Lay off the karate kid movies and step into reality.

Quote:
THERE ARE ARTS THAT UFC WON'T LET ENTER UFC, so how can it really be UFC

NAme on Style that was not allowed to fight in the Early UFC's? DO you have any proof or evidence to back up your outlandish claims?

Quote:
DON'T bother to flame me its true and i won't replay

It must be nice to run around posting outragous statments without any proof, evidence, or reason then say you arebnt willing ot back up your claims.

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I could have sworn I posted in here already. Anyways, when comparing Bruce Lee to UFC competitors, please consider his weight class. Considering the power that he could generate out of such a very small and light body, I think he would have a great advantage over the other competitors in his weight class.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the UFC lightweight division is stacked with talent today..back in the day lightweights were almost non existent because there were no weight classes...

But i agree it's not fair to compare Bruce to fighters 20 years ahead of him.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering Bruce's focus on "keep what works discard what doesn't" I think he would have taken to modern MMA quite eagerly and with great gusto (as he took to the rather mixed martial art her was doing).

And I've seen some very powerful little old men... but there are some very skilled big young men who have severe power and strength advantages who can beat them.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: