Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kwon_Artist
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate, Judo.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Just got my 9th Kyu... Reply with quote

Hello! Basically I have just passed my first grading and not I am an orange belt.
I am quite new to Karate and have been doing Shotokan-Ryu for about 3 months now and there are a couple of questions I would like to ask!
I am with the JKAE (Japan Karate Association England) and basically my instructor didn't grade me but the grading was a set location where practitioners from different clubs were also grading in the same location as me, what do people think about this kind of system? Do you think this is more beneficial than having your own instructor grade you? In all of the Martial Arts I've done, Karate is the only one where I've graded this way, so it's a new experience for me.
Another question is that on my first grade, my instructor said I might be able to double grade if they let me, but they didn't let me and a couple of other people did double grade! What was I doing wrong for them to not double grade me? Even though I did everything right and they said I did a very good grade at the end when they told me I had passed?
Also, it looks like you can half grade as I saw many people with orange belts and white stripes through the middle and I think I saw it was called a Kari grade? what do Kari grades mean? Does that mean they only think you've done half the job and not the full job of passing?
Last thing: what does Osu/Oss mean? does it mean yes? If so, then why do we not just say 'Hai'?
Sorry for my questions, I'm quite new to Karate and I want to know more about how things work within my organisation!
Thank You!

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got my 9th Kyu... Reply with quote

Kwon_Artist wrote:
Hello! Basically I have just passed my first grading and not I am an orange belt.
I am quite new to Karate and have been doing Shotokan-Ryu for about 3 months now and there are a couple of questions I would like to ask!
I am with the JKAE (Japan Karate Association England) and basically my instructor didn't grade me but the grading was a set location where practitioners from different clubs were also grading in the same location as me, what do people think about this kind of system? Do you think this is more beneficial than having your own instructor grade you? In all of the Martial Arts I've done, Karate is the only one where I've graded this way, so it's a new experience for me.
Another question is that on my first grade, my instructor said I might be able to double grade if they let me, but they didn't let me and a couple of other people did double grade! What was I doing wrong for them to not double grade me? Even though I did everything right and they said I did a very good grade at the end when they told me I had passed?
Also, it looks like you can half grade as I saw many people with orange belts and white stripes through the middle and I think I saw it was called a Kari grade? what do Kari grades mean? Does that mean they only think you've done half the job and not the full job of passing?
Last thing: what does Osu/Oss mean? does it mean yes? If so, then why do we not just say 'Hai'?
Sorry for my questions, I'm quite new to Karate and I want to know more about how things work within my organisation!
Thank You!

First of all..congratulations on your promotion! I think I got my 9th kyu back in the spring of 1975...lol.

As to all of your questions...those are questions only your instructor/sensei can answer..we can't because we don't know you or how your class is run. We don't have a clue how your testing works either..so ask your sensei, or a senior student.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Wasp
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all your Osu/Oss needs: http://www.karatebyjesse.com/meaning-oss-osu-japanese/

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Just got my 9th Kyu... Reply with quote

Kwon_Artist wrote:
...I am with the JKAE (Japan Karate Association England) and basically my instructor didn't grade me but the grading was a set location where practitioners from different clubs were also grading in the same location as me, what do people think about this kind of system? Do you think this is more beneficial than having your own instructor grade you?...

Different clubs/associations have different grading systems. For the larger associations, yes it is more common for the gradings to occur like this, I guess in a way, it's to ensure that everyone is graded the same way and at the same time.

What do I think of them? Personally I don't have any strong views either way. I've graded both ways...

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations there Kwon.
Don't be too worried about double grading, it's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.
Osu!

Kwon_Artist
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information guys!
@Balltahr: Don't worry, I won't rush ahead as I like to take my time on things, especially gradings and I am really happy to get my orange belt! I was just wondering why I didn't double grade when I did the grading when they said I did a vood grading and other 10th kyu's did double grade!

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your promotion!

Unfortunately, none of us can really tell you why you didn't double grade, because we weren't there. Perhaps you did very well for a 9th kyu, but not quite well enough for 8th? Perhaps you simply haven't been training long enough to meet the requirement for 8th? Maybe you don't know the new material needed to test for 8th? Maybe the panel was tired and wanted to go home early? Who knows! In the end, it's not that important, so I wouldn't worry about it
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on earning your promotion / grade!

As others have said, don't concern yourself with double gradings. MA is a lifelong journey, a scenic route through the countryside.

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Kwon_Artist
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Yeah I won't concern myself and I know it is a journey and I am very much looking forward to it!
When I did ITF Taekwon-Do, I took my time then aswell as I think if you progress too quickly, you can't develop your moves properly like what happened when I did ITA Taekwondo back when I was much younger, I got to senior 2nd dan black belt in just 3 years and it kind of set me back a little for when I did ITF but Martial Arts is basically an over time process!
I'm not too bothered about not double grading, afterall I had never had an orange belt before lol
Even though ITF TKD and Shotokan Karate are similar in many ways, they are also completely different and I have to unlearn the sine wave in TKD to do the hip twisting motion in shotokan Karate which is actually proving difficult to do, but I think I'll get there eventually, I practice alot at home aswell so hopefully it will come!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on passing your first test.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: