Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Dojo02
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it nessecarry to have free sparring in order to learn how to fight. You can have basics, kata, and pre-arranged kumite and of course kumite taken from the kata and applied to self-defense. But is free sparring nesscarry and does it produce better fighting ability than people who dont do it. Thank you

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free sparing as done in class won't necesarly get you ready to fight. Because most street fights don't start with 2 guys face to face and hands up. Most start with a sucker punch or something. However I think one would be stupid not to do free sparring. However if you practice kata and your 1 step and semi free sparring you should be ok if attacked. I am a firm believer that one needs contact to learn to fight. Because the best way to know something don't work is when the other person hits you. However that is jsut me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, free sparing is very important. It helps you to work on your distancing and timing. Its a very different feel to have a moving unpredictable target that hits back....

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparring gets you used to facing a real, live, thinking opponent, who might do unexpected things.

You learn how to react to sudden moves, and also to watch how a person moves when they are going to perform certain techniques. So if you learn how your opponent moves as he's getting ready to punch, you can anticipate that and set up a defense.

Also you learn to strike accurately at a human body, which is trying to move and counter, rather than just a still dummy or bag.

Of course, sparring is a watered down version of a real self defense situation. There's always lots of things you could do to a real attacker that you wouldn't do in a friendly sparring session.

But then kata can always hide nasty moves...

I'd say sparring would be vital for anyone fighting one-on-one competition in a ring, of course.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: