Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that has held back my progress in kanku dai is the jump kick at the back of the kata. It starts with a center kick and then before landing the foot jump and execute a jodan geri with the other foot.

I have not yet gained the ability to do a jumping kick. So my idea to do this kata would be to do the center kick with the left foot. Land the foot and immediately execute the jodan geri with the right foot.

Opinions please? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would only suggest you assiduously practise the technique over and over until you can do it.

You might also want to consider doing some plyometric exercises to develop explosive power into your legs so you can get yourself off the ground.

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I dont really do kanku dai , in Shi to ryu we do kosokun dai which is very simular however in the jump kick we dont do it as 2 kicks we use the we use the left knee to bring you up and then delever the jodan geri . We do a bunkai with it as 2 kicks and a bunkai as a knee and a kick (2 different opponets) hope it helps .

Ryukyu kobudo

[ This Message was edited by: ronryu on 2002-03-06 19:30 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually after over 20 years of multiple sclerosis; 14 of which were lived in a wheel chair kicking while standing is more of an accomplishment than any medical professional ever thought I would do. My ability to walk period is amazing them.

I do work on jumping drills. Getting off the ground a single inch has been a big deal for me. Skipping (not rope skipping - just skipping like kids do) is another new skill. Is it a fair substitute for running. For the time being it is in my book.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2002 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the Shi-to Ryu version, Kushanku dai. There we do a scissor kick and then we finish the kata.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heya,
heres what my insturctor told me awhile ago, if you throw the first kick to jodan it will help you add height to your jump, and if you dont want to do that, just bring the chamber for the kick up as high and as fast as you can good luck and let me know how it goes!

P.S. after you get the jump down well, keep throwing the kick to jodan jodan ;p unless its for a test i like it for training the nidan geri.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are just some moves one can't do. Not because of effort always. I know I would not hold ones physical ability aginst them in a test. There is a jump in Unsa that only very few can do correctly but still we have people walking arround claiming to have masterd it.

I don't know where you train but If I were your Sensei and saw you could not physically complete a move I would turn a blind eye to it.

Karate is not how high and hard you can kich or hit but if you understand what you are doing. If you got the mental the physical does not matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW we do that kick at the end of the kata as a jump front more so than a double kick. Chambering the knee as though steppng on a box and then doing the jump front.

I have saw it done several ways as I am sure most of you have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sai, Us older "Kids" are given the option of using the left leg for lift off and kick Jodan with the right. I can get 2 kicks off only 1 out of 10 and then only after Im very loose. When I get the 2 it is not too pretty so I guess Ill stick to 1.

redbutt
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard two versions of this last technique. Traditionally, it is a true nidan-geri...first kick chudan, second kick jodan. However, I have also been told that it can be executed by thinking as the first kick as possibly steping on your opponent to "climb" up them to deliver the jodan-geri. Take that fro what it's worth. However, either way, the jodan-geri should strike before your other foot hits the ground.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: