Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

David Miller
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, thanks for replying i really appreciate it.

And as sensei Spartacus said, that exactly happens in my dojo. One person should learn all the katas required for shodan grading. But, in my dojo, there are black belt students like 2nd dan and 3rd dan, they do different katas. Like there are 4 students in my dojo that are 2nd dan and when called name your grading katas. One of them says kanku sho, one of them says nijushiho, and one of them says gojushiho sho. And they have like 3 or something grading katas but all of them are different compared to the rest of the 2nd dan students so how is that? I know you can choose your own katas but since im a blue belt i dont know much about black belts. Is that the only reason why they do different 3 different katas compared to the rest of the 2nd dan students.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different schools and organizations have different syllabi. Us telling you what goes on in ours has no bearing on what goes on in yours. If you're intent in finding out, you can ask people in your school or even a google search may reveal it.

If I tell you in Seido Juku shodans do Seido 5, Gekisai Sho, Seiyunchin, and Chion Bo Kata, nidans do Koryu Gojushisho and Bo Kata Fusestu Dai, and so on, that wouldn't help you understand what your school requires.

Within some schools, this information is freely available; in others it isn't. Some schools have "optional kata," which I think means they and/or the instructor chooses which kata students are responsible for. None of the schools I've been a student at had "optional kata" (I have seen that phrase on some Shotokan syllabi), so I don't know exactly what that phrase means. Perhaps that has something to do with why different students of the same rank are naming different kata at your school? Or it could be they're choosing to perform one of the required kata at that moment.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Different schools and organizations have different syllabi. Us telling you what goes on in ours has no bearing on what goes on in yours. If you're intent in finding out, you can ask people in your school or even a google search may reveal it.

If I tell you in Seido Juku shodans do Seido 5, Gekisai Sho, Seiyunchin, and Chion Bo Kata, nidans do Koryu Gojushisho and Bo Kata Fusestu Dai, and so on, that wouldn't help you understand what your school requires.

Within some schools, this information is freely available; in others it isn't. Some schools have "optional kata," which I think means they and/or the instructor chooses which kata students are responsible for. None of the schools I've been a student at had "optional kata" (I have seen that phrase on some Shotokan syllabi), so I don't know exactly what that phrase means. Perhaps that has something to do with why different students of the same rank are naming different kata at your school? Or it could be they're choosing to perform one of the required kata at that moment.

Agreed. The order of the Kata's learned are also different from some schools within the same style. Some styles teach Naihanchi to lower Mudansha grades and some teach it to Nikyu or Ikkyu grades. Some teach Useishi (Gojushiho) at Ikkyu and others teach it later in the Yudansha grades.

Our first Kata at the Shodan grade is Passai. Others may teach this Kata later or sooner.

JR 137 is right in the fact that you should be asking your school what the Kata's for Shodan and above are rather than asking others from other styles as this will not help you with your art. Some arts have Kata's evenly spread out so that all grades have Kata requirements and others do not teach Kata past a certain grade such as Godan, Rokudan or Nanadan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: