Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

deanduke
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Karate Exams in UK, privately? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm currently practicing Karate in Italy. As I'm gonna move to the UK, will I keep my belt in the UK?

If not, is there any way to take "private" exams to jump directly to my current belt, without following a course?

Thanks!

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What style do you practise? Are you under an organisation?

deanduke
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Shotokan. I'm under an organisation in Italy, not in the UK.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it’s an affiliated school, I’d be very willing to bet that your rank won’t transfer over. Different organizations do things differently - syllabus, techniques, etc. Your rank is subject to the chief instructor’s discretion. While you won’t be “demoted” in the sense that you need to somehow turn in your belt and/or certificate, you may have to start over and go through the ranks again. Some teachers will let you wear your previous belt while others will have you wear a white belt.

Forget about the belt around your waist. While it took plenty of dedication and work, at the end of the day it’s just a piece of fabric in this situation. You know what you’ve done and what you went through. You’ve got abilities. Those don’t change because you’re asked to wear a different belt.

When you get to the UK, look around and see what’s available. Don’t get hung up on the rank or even styles. Get hung up on finding the best fit dojo for you. If you find the right teacher and classmates to train alongside, the rest will all work itself out in time.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the organization is international or at least has a presence in Europe, having a rank recognized should be very easy just by presenting the certification. Shotokan is quite widespread and there are numerous associations and organizations practically everywhere.

With this said it is difficult for a lifelong practitioner to understand why some put so much value on rank as to concern themselves with whether or not it will be recognized by others elsewhere. If one is honest about what one can do and how much one knows, rank should matter very little.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Karate Exams in UK, privately? Reply with quote

deanduke wrote:
Hello, I'm currently practicing Karate in Italy. As I'm gonna move to the UK, will I keep my belt in the UK?

If not, is there any way to take "private" exams to jump directly to my current belt, without following a course?

Thanks!

Welcome to KF, deanduke, glad that you're here!!

Contact the very school you're interested in joining and ask the CI!! The CI might still re-rank you based on YOU!!

White belt is the most honorable rank of them all!!

Is someone searching for rank or for knowledge/experience??

deanduke
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, thanks for your reply.

I'm absolutely looking at knowledge and ability, not rank. At the same time I'm fascinated from belt, not obsessed... hope I've been able to explain my slightly difference I feel

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Karate Exams in UK, privately? Reply with quote

deanduke wrote:

Thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, what is your current grade?

And are you decided on continuing with shotokan or would you consider other options?

Let's say as an example that you were say 2nd kyu in shotokan. Let's say you then joined the organisation that is am part of, which is not shotokan, but tang soo do. Remember this is a hypothetical example. As the styles have a lot in common, if you asked to be fast tracked, you may get an honorary promotion after a few weeks to say 5th kyu, then another one a few months later to 3rd, once you've had time to absorb any differences and demonstrate the ability in the new style.

Speaking to friends over the years in other styles, it seems this kind of process is not unusual.

It is important though that if another club just matches your grade without trialing you first, you should probably walk away. As any decent club would want to see that you are sufficiently skilled before promoting you.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your planning on staying in Shotokan, you will be fine. As there is always a difference of knowledge schools offer.

If you move away from Shotokan, you will recommence from white belt.

And there are no exams you take from moving countries or organisations. As each school will look at you individually and fill in on any gaps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: