Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

hansenator
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Karate forms for Krav Maga? Reply with quote

So this might be an odd question but I've been wondering:

It seems that Karate and Krav Maga have similarities in purpose, that being self-defense. I know almost nothing about Krav Maga but I started wondering if it might have commonalities with karate in the way they function? Which started me wondering if there are karate katas that contain material or movements that are similar to what you find in Krav Maga and would they be useful as a solo training tool for a Krav Maga practitioner?

A little off the wall I realize but the idea has been bouncing around in my head for a while.

Thanks.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen of Krav, there aren't any kind of forms done. They work a lot on concepts, and teach the concepts through working on techniques. They do some pad work and such, but a lot of what they do is partner drills, from what I've seen of it.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
From what I've seen of Krav, there aren't any kind of forms done. They work a lot on concepts, and teach the concepts through working on techniques. They do some pad work and such, but a lot of what they do is partner drills, from what I've seen of it.

I wholeheartedly agree!! What I see in KM is just straight out offense/defense without the formality that Kata can demand. I believe in Kata, but not all MA do!! Oh well.

hansenator
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize krav maga doesn't have forms but I'm thinking it might include throws, some joint locks, escapes, some kind of clinch/standing-grappling type stuff. These kinds of things are found in karate kata and I was wondering if the techniques would be similar enough for the krav maga practicioner to consider learning a couple of katas from the local karate instructor?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansenator wrote:
I realize krav maga doesn't have forms but I'm thinking it might include throws, some joint locks, escapes, some kind of clinch/standing-grappling type stuff. These kinds of things are found in karate kata and I was wondering if the techniques would be similar enough for the krav maga practicioner to consider learning a couple of katas from the local karate instructor?

To your question...Yes!! Again, add what is useful; discard the rest. It might be worth the effort to research and then add and apply that which add to your MA betterment.

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure, I think to find an effective middle ground in which to train Kata you would need to find someone who is well versed in kata bunkai (applications, not all schools teach then in depth) and also familiar with Krav Maga. When you learn an art with traditions and specific ways of doing things you tend to use them in all situations. When I have been in a self-defence situation I have found myself in various karate stances which probably wouldn't be applicable to Krav Maga so there would be a fair bit of sorting out to find a truly useful kata for Krav.

hansenator
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spodo Komodo wrote:
When I have been in a self-defence situation I have found myself in various karate stances which probably wouldn't be applicable to Krav Maga so there would be a fair bit of sorting out to find a truly useful kata for Krav.

There is that. I would think the general principles would apply though - Shift weight forward, shift backward, pivot, etc.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is, what does a Kravist have to gain by learning a kata? They do lots of partner drilling, working with attacks and using their concepts in their self-defense applications. I really don't think it would be worth the time in Krav to find some kata to reverse engineer their techniques into, when the teaching method they already have is pretty effective.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
My question is, what does a Kravist have to gain by learning a kata? They do lots of partner drilling, working with attacks and using their concepts in their self-defense applications. I really don't think it would be worth the time in Krav to find some kata to reverse engineer their techniques into, when the teaching method they already have is pretty effective.

Solid post!!

To the bold type above...

Nothing! Aside from that, if I was a Kravist, I suppose I might want a fresh eye on different applications that would increase my knowledge, thusly my MA betterment. I'd be looking for those AHA moments!!

hansenator
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

That's what I was wondering.

I was thinking of solo practice, if the arts were similar enough. Krav Maga has lots of drills but it's hard to practice the grappling elements without a partner. Since that material is in kata, I was just wondering if it could be useful. Especially if you're looking for an excuse to learn a couple.

The next question would have been which ones are most/least compatible?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: