Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Karate Forums is 17 and a Half Years Old! Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

We are now at another half birthday for KarateForums.com and, as such, Patrick has asked another of the long time staff members to share some thoughts on the community, martial arts, and what the two together mean to us. This time the honor to say something has fallen to me.

I came to KarateForums.com in 2008 - yes, that long ago - and I’ve been here since. Sometimes more frequently than others, but always coming back around. When I landed here, I had been doing martial arts in some form or fashion since 1989. During that time, I had started in a traditional art and slowly migrated to the growing grappling and MMA scene. Somewhere along the way I dabbled in Filipino arts so when I landed at KarateForums.com, I was looking at things through a very wide lens, knowing that no single system had every answer to every problem.

Then I stumbled onto KarateForums.com. Here was a community that had a large number of contributors that were very well versed in their given disciplines, and there was a great variety in the arts represented as well. That diversity attracted me initially, as did the obvious depth of all the contributors understanding of their chosen system. Everyone posting had a clear passion for what they did as well as a thorough knowledge of the principles behind their tactics. I had come to realize that this level of educated discourse was rare in many internet forums dedicated to the martial arts. Moreover, those individuals were very open to a compare and contrast discussion, choosing to forgo the usual “which art is best” discussion that can dominate internet conversation. This was new. Well, to me in relation to the internet, Patrick had been fostering this level of community for some time. We should all thank him more often than we do for his commitment to holding this line in an era where it’s so rare.

And that’s why I stayed, and continue to stay: The quality of the discourse here. This is a point that I feel has implications far beyond the martial arts online community. Given the way internet communication has propagated and the near lack of civility from many groups therein, as well as those far more vocal offline, I think it’s so important that forums still exist that put ideas at the forefront of discussion. Groups like this foster healthy debate about something that we don’t always agree on but are willing to talk about on the merits of tactics, facts, and principle; not a perceived character deficit on the other side of a disagreement.

This lesson, this idea, is more important now than ever and as we see the internet continue to be such a force in not just the evolution of the martial arts but in how we properly conduct communication as a global society. We can’t forget the basic lessons in passionately discussing topics that has been fostered in healthy communities like KarateForums.com. The culture of learning that it builds, of looking at a problem from another’s worldview, carries on beyond just the study of a fighting system. And isn’t that what we’re supposed to be doing with the arts? “From one thing, learn ten thousand things.” Musashi’s words have never been more appropriate.

We are very lucky here, and everyone that posts and stays active and continues to use KarateForums.com as a learning resource for their own journey is a major part of that.

Thank you for letting me be part of it. And Happy Birthday, KF!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy 17 and a half birthday, KF!!

I share your sentiments exactly across the board, Alex. A concisely summarized post through and through, as always. Thank you for your thoughtful OP, Alex.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, well said! Happy Half-Birthday, KF! It truly is the best place to hang out on the internet.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant post Alex. Well said. The longevity of KF is down to the great atmosphere quality of discourse we have here

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Tallgeese. Happy Birthday KF. Here's to many more years to come.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Thanks very much Patrick. Happy birthday to US!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Alex, for taking the time to think about the community, and what it means to you, and for sharing those thoughts with us.

I've been fortunate to have many wonderful moderators and staff members here over the years, like you. Their efforts behind the scenes, to help create a community that we can all be proud of, is something that many members probably don't think much about, but without it, this wouldn't be the same community.

Thank you for your kind words, and for all of your incredible contributions over the years.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Patrick!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: