Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

still kicking
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu Karate, Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Karate Forums Posters Anonymous (?) Reply with quote

A lot of the time I think about posting things on here, but do not do it. I think it is partly that some things are too hard to put in words, and maybe I am afraid of being misunderstood. Mainly, though, I recently changed schools, which has been a huge big deal for me, and I would not want to say anything weird or potentially offensive to either my old dojo or my new dojo. Most likely no one from either place would care enough to track me down and try to identify me, and it's not like I'm interested in causing trouble for the old place. I wish them well, but do have some bad feelings about some things that happened. Anyway... I will soon come out of the closet, as it were, and post about my process with all of this, since I know that feeling conflicted about switching dojos is a common thing. For now, though, I would just like to ask... do other people ever hesitate to post due to fear of being identified? I would bet there are a lot of lurkers on here, and wondered if that might be part of the reason. Oh well, I do enjoy reading everyone elses posts, but it's good to have more voices as well.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Karate Forums Posters Anonymous (?) Reply with quote

still kicking wrote:
A lot of the time I think about posting things on here, but do not do it. I think it is partly that some things are too hard to put in words, and maybe I am afraid of being misunderstood. Mainly, though, I recently changed schools, which has been a huge big deal for me, and I would not want to say anything weird or potentially offensive to either my old dojo or my new dojo. Most likely no one from either place would care enough to track me down and try to identify me, and it's not like I'm interested in causing trouble for the old place. I wish them well, but do have some bad feelings about some things that happened. Anyway... I will soon come out of the closet, as it were, and post about my process with all of this, since I know that feeling conflicted about switching dojos is a common thing. For now, though, I would just like to ask... do other people ever hesitate to post due to fear of being identified? I would bet there are a lot of lurkers on here, and wondered if that might be part of the reason. Oh well, I do enjoy reading everyone elses posts, but it's good to have more voices as well.

Every now and then I will choose not to reply to a particular topic or post about a particular thing in case I am ever tracked down, but I didn't make it difficult to track me down to this account. Most of the stuff I've said I am not concerned with people from my current or previous dojo finding online.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noone should have to live in fear of anything, that being said - often if one does not have anything nice to say, it is better not to say anything at all.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still Kicking I can agree with the being hesitant on posting since some thoughts are hard to constructinto written form. But I never fear being tracked down and being ridiculed for what I say on here. My biggest reson for not posting is the difficulty of putting things in writting and possibly being misinderstood to the point of someone becoming upset. I actually tell my students about this site and encourage them to use it if they are looking for an online martial arts forum. I mean the other instructor at my school also posts on he on a regular basis. Everyone is entitled to speak their mind without fear of retaliation. If someone was to find your postings on here no big deal unless you're being slanderous. So I say post away my friend you may find you'll get good advice and someone else on here may have been through what you are dealing with and have the experince you seek in this situation.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for starting this thread, still kicking. I appreciate you sharing this and find it interesting.

I think it's important, in life and not just in forums (), to have an internal filter that helps you process what is appropriate to say at a given moment. This doesn't mean lying or anything like that, but just in deciding what is appropriate to share, how to share it, who will be affected by what you will share and the responsibility that you have for your own words.

When we say something that that we shouldn't have, it impacts everyone who associates with us. Family, friends, employers, etc. But, we all have to decide at what level of sharing is appropriate for us and it will not be the same for every person. Some people will have instructors that are more strict than others, for example.

I think what you have is a reasonable fear and you should only proceed in a way that ensures your comfort and happiness.

The thing about KF is that, essentially, you choose what you want to share or reveal about yourself. You can list a style, but you don't have to. You can tell us your name, but you don't have to. You can tell us your location, but you don't have to. And on and on. Everyone should share at a level that makes them comfortable. That said, I believe that the people who share of themselves, to a reasonable level (as there is such a thing as over sharing ), will generally get more out of this community than if they keep everything to themselves. You just have to find the line.

And, of course, it is always important to remember that not everything you read on KF is true. I believe the vast majority of people are honest, but there will always be a given percentage that is probably lying about some or all details. You have to take what you read with a grain of salt. Assume good faith, but use your own brain.

Aside, thank you Rusty for recommending KF to your students. That's awesome.

Thanks again, still kicking. Great topic.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worried about beibng "tracked down"..why would anybody want to find me anyway? lol I live in the Spokane, WA area, as my profile states, and I'm origionally from (and miss terribly at times) Montana, hence my nic.

If somebody really wants to know my name, just ask abnd I'll PM it to you. You won't find much on the internet about me as I don't have a webpage and think facebook is a joke and total wste of time (GASP! )

Due to cronic back problems and arthritis in my knees I am no longer teaching the arts after 30+ years in it, but I still get a little practice in when time and my body allows.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

still kicking
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu Karate, Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, I really appreciated your thoughtful reply to my original post. Those are exactly the kinds of questions I have been grappling with, and trying to come up with something appropriate to say. I've been writing a lot in the past few days... most of it won't be shared but the process has helped me sort some things out,

At any rate, it is quite late so I will keep it short for now, and will start by saying that I am very happy that my new school does not require any travel for belt testing. One of the key issues that finally made me to decide to leave my previous dojo was the incessant travel requirements. Our school is in a state on the west coast of the US, and the home dojo (Hombu) is far away and over a large body of water, necessitating plane travel. In addition, in the lead up to black belt testing (shodan-ho), applicants are expected ti fly there for a tournament that is about 6 mos before the testm and stay for a week of training as well. Some people stay longer. Then 6 months later at testing it's another plan trip and a week of accommodations, not to mention testing fees which are considerable. All if this is repeated again in the following year if the candidate wants to move on to shodan. So -- basically 4 round trip airfares plus 4 weeks or more of accomodation costs, plus testing fees for both the open hand and kobudo tests, also of these expenses with a period of 2 years. For me, though, aside from the money, traveling with dojo mates with various kinds of dynamics going on and sharing accommodation, plus training our butts off, almost literally, every night -- well, I guess I kind of snapped, folks, and decided I didn't want to do it! I am relieved and happy that if I live so long I will be able to continue through the black belt ranks without any undue hardship. I did hear that after 6th dan they have to start going to Japan, but if that day ever comes, I'll manage.

More later, I am falling asleep. Thanks for listening to my ramblings, but there really is a whole story here.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure, still kicking. Thanks again for bringing this up.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

madtanker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do/Hapkido

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Karate Forums Posters Anonymous (?) Reply with quote

[quote="still kicking"]A lot of the time I think about posting things on here, but do not do it. I think it is partly that some things are too hard to put in words, and maybe I am afraid of being misunderstood. Mainly, though, I recently changed schools, which has been a huge big deal for me, and I would not want to say anything weird or potentially offensive to either my old dojo or my new dojo. Most likely no one from either place would care enough to track me down and try to identify me, and it's not like I'm interested in causing trouble for the old place. I wish them well, but do have some bad feelings about some things that happened. Anyway... I will soon come out of the closet, as it were, and post about my process with all of this, since I know that feeling conflicted about switching dojos is a common thing. For now, though, I would just like to ask... do other people ever hesitate to post due to fear of being identified? I would bet there are a lot of lurkers on here, and wondered if that might be part of the reason. Oh well, I do enjoy reading everyone elses posts, but it's good to have more voices as well.[/quote]

Personally, here as well as elsewhere, I do not fear reprisal when posting. If I have something of substance to say, or of value to add, I will do so. If not, then I avoid it, but only if I cannot be of help. If you are in fear, then there are two reasons
1) it is your survival instinct (or basically, you know that any comment may be misconstrued) and in that case you should listen.
2) it is a valid fear of an issue, knowing that the only thing that you can do is hurt... yourself or someone else. In that case it is nobler to bow out, and see how things develop. As in MA, you are better off settign up an opponent than leading head-first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: