Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KwicKixJ1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Shorin Ryu, Shudokan, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
This is truly sad to see, I believe it bled over into TKD, when it got started. That, combined with the fact that the influx of a sense of building Korean nationalism, and using this to differentiate TKD from it's roots in Karate. Although the skill levels that can be seen in Olympic TKD can be exciting to watch, I don't think it's what the vast majority of TKD practitioners should be training for.

I trained with a school that did more old school taekwondo for many years. We didn't do doubles and triple roundhouse kicks that olympic tkd is known for. Jump kicks were all just the basic kicks with a jump. Most complicated spinning jump kick was a jump hook kick. Sparring was rough. Punches to the head and face allowed, attacks to the groin allowed.

advfhorn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous school only allowed his instructor to wear black ... from my experience as a woman doing this 8 years ... if a girl wants to wear black gi pants .... just let her

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way it was explained to me was this (for Shorin Ryu anyway). Students wear all white gi until they get their Shodan. At that point they can wear either black pants/white jacket, or black jacket/white pants. ONLY the head sensei can wear all black in the dojo.

Why? Dont know.

Now, I taught for a long time, students always wore whitye, I wore whatever I liked. For years I had students askign if they could wear black, I always said no. Then maybe my last 10 years of teaching I got to think "What difference does it really make?", so I announced that aybody could wear black, or white gi. No mixing. I sold a heck of a lot of black gi's that week!

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditions have its place in a multitude of contexts in any MA schools/Governing Bodies, and the gi is not exception. As Montana notes, "What difference does it really make?", and I couldn't agree any more.

I've worn a blue gi ever since they came out; it's my favorite. Seeing that my students are also my customers, and I sold gi's as well, I broke away from the traditional handcuffs when it came to gi colors. If my students/customers want to wear a different gi color, go for it. However, because at the Hombuv we're guests, therefore, any of my students, as well as myself, wore the traditional gi colors of WHITE or BLACK or combo of the two.

In my closet I've a wide plethora of gi's hanging of all types and colors. Because change is inevitable, I changed the traditional look of wearing all white except the CI and the black belts.

I like the sea of colors on the floor!!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh the irony of seeing someone having commented on this post, as I saw a club the other day had ummm a unique array of uniforms.

Their Junior Program had Belts with White Stripes in the middle. Whereas the Seniors it was just the full belt without the stripe.

So their uniforms also reflected those ranks! So if you were a Red Belt with a White Stripe, then you wore a Red Gi with a White Stripe somewhere on the uniform.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
oh the irony of seeing someone having commented on this post, as I saw a club the other day had ummm a unique array of uniforms.

Their Junior Program had Belts with White Stripes in the middle. Whereas the Seniors it was just the full belt without the stripe.

So their uniforms also reflected those ranks! So if you were a Red Belt with a White Stripe, then you wore a Red Gi with a White Stripe somewhere on the uniform.
That sounds like a school making lots of money on each belt testing.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Nidan Melbourne wrote:

That sounds like a school making lots of money on each belt testing.

It was eye watering! $75 for ALL Junior Kyu Grades + $100 for Senior Kyu Grades. $130 for Junior BB and $180 for Senior BB.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$75, but they get the next uniform, too? Not too bad, compared to what I've seen.

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think white gi is more traditional, and universally accepted.
Because of that some people might see different colours as 'deviation' from established rules.
Personally I believe everyone should wear whatever colour they like as long as its clean.
I am even considering buying myself a red one.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White, black, red, blue. The masters back in the day had no such things, so it doesn’t matter to me. Personally, I prefer the white gi - I just love how it looks with a black belt. But I actually have us all wearing black gis at my dojo. They’re easier to keep clean both for me and the students, but particularly the parents of students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: