Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

karate_woman
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kickboxing,Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate, Judo, JuJitsu,T'ai Chi, QiGong

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Karate Gi Reply with quote

I just noticed the other day my heavy weight karate gi is getting little holes in it where it is folded. They aren't noticeable yet except under close inspection, but obviously I'm going to have to get a new gi. On average, how often do you tend to replace your gi, and do lightweight ones last longer than heavyweight ones (other than for grappling)? I still have my original lightweight gi and it doesn't have any holes in it at all, and was worn much longer than this one (this one I've worn probably 2 years).

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My light weight top is still in good condition but my pants got a rip in the crotch. Must have been those super high kicks of mine. I purchased a middle weight Gi about six months ago and haven't had in trouble so far, but it is fairly new still. I'll let you know how things develop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to move this to the Karate Forum, since you'll need suggestions for a gi that will suit your style.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always bought light weight ones. Proforce is pretty good. My proforce uniform is still holding up after 3 years. The Centry one stink. They shrink up to nothing, and I have a hole in the top (near the back of the neck) after a year. I bought another one for my new school, but I found out that I can buy what ever brand I want, so I'm going back to proforce

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can usually get a year or more out of a high quality gi. KI makes a great gi that last a while.

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokkaidos tended to last a yaer or two, at the most. Shureido lasted about four. Kamikaze two-three.One of my Meijins is a year old, and doing well. the longest lasting Gi I own is a Kwon (German Co.) 16oz canvas Gi that I bought in Germany in 1992. Of course, it's sort of grey,and the collar and cuffs are frayed, but the seams have held.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really hard on gi's especially the pants. I finally settled on the 10 oz pro force gi. I go through about 2 pairs of pants a year. But can get up to 2 years out of a 10 oz top. I am a really heavy sweater though.

The really expensive heavy wieght gi's just did not come out cost effective for me in the long run. I still go through the pants in much shorter amount of time than most do.

It does seem that the heavier sweaters go through gi's quicker.

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sai, do you find they wear out at the seam, or that the fabric itself deteriorates? With Tokkaido, it seems to be the latter for me. I read somewhere that Tokkaido changed their fabric source about ten years ago, and they haven't been as high quality since. I would tend to agree with this. The fabric in Tokkaido doesn't feel as thick or as strong as the gis from ten or fifteen years ago. the nice thing about the Meijins is that the fabic seems to be a better quality.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pants go through at the seams first. Then the material thins. With the tops the material thins.

One time in class I had put an older top on and was working with my tonfa before class. I suddenly felt some air after I had brought the handle along my side at an odd angle. The whole side of the gi had ripped out.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KW:

Right now, my primary gi is a Ronin middle weight(10oz.). So far it has held up and I've had it at least a minimum of 2 years. It is also 100% cotton. I won't go any lighter than that though. My other Gis are heavy weights, one being a tailored Satori gi, made from up your way. The other was a recently purchased Macho heavy weight, that I heard good things about and wanted to check out.

Many times, it just depends on how ofter you wear your gi and how much they get washed. I like to keep at least 3 gis on hand so that I can just rotate them, and so far they have held up.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: