Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayneshin wrote:
It probably depends on what you are getting at your school. I would have thought BJJ a reasonable suggestion.
Dependant on your level you should be learning throws, sweeps and takedowns as well as some limb control and locks.
I don't believe there is really any genuine ground fighting in karate. IMHO you shouild never take a fight to the ground anyway. Just be able to cope if it takes you there.
The problem there is that you don't always have the choice in the matter of whether or not a fight goes to the ground. The fact of the matter is it may happen, and its best to be able to deal with it when it does. I had an incident at work about a month ago, and I had no plans to end up on the ground, but with multiple sets of hands on someone and struggling, combined with a Taser deployment mishap, I ended up on the ground. Not by choice. It can happen, even if you don't want it to. Best to be prepared when it does.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Taser deployment mishap

Euphemism for CRAP HAS HIT THE FAN AND WE ARE COVERED IN IT. A good senior high school wrestler has 4 years of a specialized martial art involving putting someone on the ground. 4 years of hard practice is like a first kyu. A lot of these people are out there. So yeah, better have a decent ground game.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Taser deployment mishap

Euphemism for CRAP HAS HIT THE FAN AND WE ARE COVERED IN IT.

Yeah, but I ended up being the only one covered in crap on this escapade. It was quite a funny experience. It makes for a good story, but probably better told than typed, but if interested, I might PM it to you. Let me know. Me and the guys chuckled about it later on.

MasterPain wrote:
A good senior high school wrestler has 4 years of a specialized martial art involving putting someone on the ground. 4 years of hard practice is like a first kyu. A lot of these people are out there. So yeah, better have a decent ground game.

I agree. Now, take a guy that may have been a state level Wrestler. We also have a division II NCAA school here in my town, with a good Wrestling program. One of the guys on the team actually was competing in amatuer MMA comps and was 5-0. The guy is an animal; weighs like 140 or 150 and benched 400 or something like that. He has now gone onto do some serious MMA training in California; one of the PD guys is good friends and trained with him in the DT club here at the college. I think he went to Silva's gym (or one of them), and is hoping to audition for The Ultimate Fighter. We've also got some other MMA guys roaming around here, too. So having that ground game up and running is a good idea. So I'm hoping to get to that soon.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy such stories.

wayneshin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
wayneshin wrote:
It probably depends on what you are getting at your school. I would have thought BJJ a reasonable suggestion.
Dependant on your level you should be learning throws, sweeps and takedowns as well as some limb control and locks.
I don't believe there is really any genuine ground fighting in karate. IMHO you shouild never take a fight to the ground anyway. Just be able to cope if it takes you there.
The problem there is that you don't always have the choice in the matter of whether or not a fight goes to the ground. The fact of the matter is it may happen, and its best to be able to deal with it when it does. I had an incident at work about a month ago, and I had no plans to end up on the ground, but with multiple sets of hands on someone and struggling, combined with a Taser deployment mishap, I ended up on the ground. Not by choice. It can happen, even if you don't want it to. Best to be prepared when it does.

Totally agree. Please re-read the last sentence of my post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayneshin wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
wayneshin wrote:

Totally agree. Please re-read the last sentence of my post.

I didn't take your post out of context, I don't think, anyway. What I was addressing for the most part came from your use of the word "cope." By coping, I would guess you are talking about being able to get back up to your feet after being taken off of them. I agree that this is a good strategy to have. But by knowing how to grapple, one can know better how to get back to his feet after being grappled. That is the point I was getting towards.

wingedMonkey
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, Mauy Thai, Kickboxing, modern Wushu, all forms of Kung Fu, Yang style Tai Chi, Baqua, Ground Fighting

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with most people on here that a ground fighting style is best for addition since with stand-up it will take time for the differences to complement each other but with ground all you do is switch to it when needed. As well as someone else mentioned gun training which I would agree as well with some knife techniques to keep up with the times.

scohen.mma
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu, Kaze No Ryu Bugei Ogawa Ha

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kuma. I was a BJJ practitioner for years and then i moved, and now i train in Shorin-Ryu Karate and Japanese Judo. both compliment each other AMAZINGLY. the sweeps and takedowns that you learn in Judo are encouraged and legal when it comes to Karate competition, and you also learn sweeps in Karate that are used in Judo. This is just my opinion, but they are both great Martial Arts and they both go with each other amazingly.

ENSO
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu, Shotokan, Aikido

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without know what FortuneCookie is trying to get out of his/her training I will say this. I trained in karate for over 15 years and my dojo closed about 8 years ago. Life got in the way of my martial arts training, (two kids will do that you know), until about a year and a half ago. I began studying Aikido and have found it to be a great compliment to my karate training. Aikido really teaches you how to deal with multiple attackers and will keep you off the ground. Just my $.02...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ENSO wrote:
Without know what FortuneCookie is trying to get out of his/her training I will say this. I trained in karate for over 15 years and my dojo closed about 8 years ago. Life got in the way of my martial arts training, (two kids will do that you know), until about a year and a half ago. I began studying Aikido and have found it to be a great compliment to my karate training. Aikido really teaches you how to deal with multiple attackers and will keep you off the ground. Just my $.02...

Respectfully, I ask how you know for sure Aikido will keep you off the ground? I've trained in Aikido some (not extensively, but some), and although I see the merit in the style, I don't see it as a grappling defense answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: