Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right.. If you want to learn how to not go to the ground, you need to train with people who are trying to take you to the ground with them. Otherwise, it's a bit like learning blocks by standing in front of a poster and doing the blocks in air, without ever having a hand and arm actually move toward you. You need to learn how to respond to a valid presentation of X in order to learn a counter to X, and if the style does not do X, they cannot give you that presentation.

ENSO
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu, Shotokan, Aikido

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
ENSO wrote:
Without know what FortuneCookie is trying to get out of his/her training I will say this. I trained in karate for over 15 years and my dojo closed about 8 years ago. Life got in the way of my martial arts training, (two kids will do that you know), until about a year and a half ago. I began studying Aikido and have found it to be a great compliment to my karate training. Aikido really teaches you how to deal with multiple attackers and will keep you off the ground. Just my $.02...

Respectfully, I ask how you know for sure Aikido will keep you off the ground? I've trained in Aikido some (not extensively, but some), and although I see the merit in the style, I don't see it as a grappling defense answer.

Nothing is a guarantee but an accomplished Aikidoist would be extremely difficult to get on the ground. Most grappling arts deal with one on one situations for the most part and not multiple attackers.

vantheman
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do No-Gi Submission in tandem with Karate, and I find it to be very helpful. I could also see Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu working well with Karate. Luckily for me, my karate dojo offers these two classes, and offers discounts if you do those along side Kempo. You may want to see if any dojos around offer classes like that

-VTM

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ENSO wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
ENSO wrote:
Without know what FortuneCookie is trying to get out of his/her training I will say this. I trained in karate for over 15 years and my dojo closed about 8 years ago. Life got in the way of my martial arts training, (two kids will do that you know), until about a year and a half ago. I began studying Aikido and have found it to be a great compliment to my karate training. Aikido really teaches you how to deal with multiple attackers and will keep you off the ground. Just my $.02...

Respectfully, I ask how you know for sure Aikido will keep you off the ground? I've trained in Aikido some (not extensively, but some), and although I see the merit in the style, I don't see it as a grappling defense answer.

Nothing is a guarantee but an accomplished Aikidoist would be extremely difficult to get on the ground. Most grappling arts deal with one on one situations for the most part and not multiple attackers.

Not for an accomplished Wrestler or Grappler. I haven't seen to many take down defenses in Aikido that I have done, and very little actual grappling, other than pin maneuvers. Aikido is very much a standup style, with a focus of joint locking and throwing.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Kano Sensei saw Ueshiba Sensei he commented that "Aikido" was the purest form of Judo. (I'm not too sure of the correct quote but I know its not a million miles away)

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably one person's opinion, rather than an established fact. The opinions of masters are still only opinions.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purest and the like are illusions, imho. I agree with Brian!! If I was to say...Shindokan is the purest form of karate, I'd be wrong because it's only my opinion, and opinions aren't fact.

OneInchPunch
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my time in karate was more geared towards creating a base for my martial arts life journey, more so than anything else.

skill-wise, it taught me to punch straight, and use the hips for power...really, that was it.

i gained more of a philosophical and mental development during my time learning shodokan karate. mainly because I was still just a kid back then. When I graduated high school, I started learning MMA, mainly standup. I was training under a muay thai/ shidokan instructor and he helped translate my 'traditional' techniques into something more modern.

then I learned more MMA, with submission wrestling and no-gi jiu jitsu, and the rest is history.

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My base art is karate (Shotokan), however due to work, studies, and then injuries, moving... I left and tried other arts, eg Ninpo, Judo, JKD, various style of Kung Fu, etc... However I didn't take to them.

I have now started with a local Tang Soo Do club (also Kyokushin) and found that with TSD, it actually complimented my shotokan training quite alot by decoding (as used by tallgeese) kata, as they are very similar across these two arts.

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Purest and the like are illusions, imho. I agree with Brian!! If I was to say...Shindokan is the purest form of karate, I'd be wrong because it's only my opinion, and opinions aren't fact.

I agree, sometimes the Masters have been misquoted!!! same as the kata is sometimes misinterpreted!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: