Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Karate Nerd Experience Reply with quote

Has anyone ever been to a Karate Nerd Experience seminar? (The ones with the pink belts)

I've been looking at them with fascination for years and this year the seminar is going to be in Boston-- practically in my backyard. Cutting out airfare would make the $800-something dollar price tag for the event affordable and I know the event will most likely never be this close again.

I'm curious if anyone here has gone to one or knows someone who has and if it's worth it.

Thank you!

The Pred
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of it, what does it entail?

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a short write up on this and it looked interesting. I did not know it was 800 though. It still looks fun.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liam went to a Jesse Enkamp seminar, or one was held in his dojo. Not the "Nerd Experience" with pink belts, I believe. I remember seeing a pic of him wearing his black belt with Jesse correcting something.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was around $800 last year. They haven't released this year's price yet. That price includes the three day seminar, hotel, and meals (even though I live 30 minutes north of Boston I think they still want everyone staying at the hotel for camaraderie purposes) plus some goodie bag items (pink belt, t-shirt, gym bag, coffee mug, last year they got nunchuku they used during one of the sessions, etc). So it's not really that outrageous for an entire weekend plus accommodation. It's still a good chunk of change, though, which is why I'm asking for experiences before I lay down that money.

The theme of the event changes every year and they haven't revealed this year's focus yet. Last year it was "a trip through history" where they spent time exploring martial arts from different points in history (Chinese, then Okinawan, then Japanese, then modern sport karate and MMA, etc).

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be interested. I live a little more than 3 hours north of Boston. If I can get some overtime this summer I could be persuaded.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope!! I've never been to one, and I don't ever plan to!!

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fyi if anyone is interested-- tickets supposedly go on sale tomorrow and last year they sold out in under 24 hours.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I have ever heard of this but I rarely have time to do anything outside of my work, teaching, and family life.

I'm not sure that pink belts sound that interesting but I assume it is a way to get ranks out of the equation and just train or it's a way to put everyone on the same level.

Either way I can't see spending $800.00 unless I knew the quality of instruction that I would be getting and what the subject matter was before hand. I get that this is a popular event, even though I've never heard of it, and I'm sure many sign up if it sells out that quickly but I can't see spending that type of money without knowing what the content is before hand.

If you go let us know about it. I'm interested to see if you think it was worth the money.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my ticket this morning. It's $997 this year! But it's three days this year instead of three days and is all inclusive and the fact that I don't have to pay airfare helps. Also I don't pay anything for karate lessons, so I spend very little money on this hobby overall. Basically, I'm trying my best to justify it.

There's a least one big name who's going to be there (Patrick McCarthy) along with some other presenters who seems really interesting.

I'm looking forward to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: