Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MikeKnopfler
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:15 am    Post subject: Karate newbie question Reply with quote

Hi all,

I started about 20 days ago with karate (shotokan) and I took 6 lessons. I am a 30 yo male with no previous experience in martial arts.

I am good (or at least not so bad) at stretching and body coordination, I am 180 cm high and my weight is 75 kg.

Here is my problem: I live in a small city and even if my dojo is attended by at least 200 athlets, most of them kids or like that, when I go to my lesson (at about 7.00 PM two times a week) there are about ten (adult) karatekas: one black belt, the remaining are divided into blue belts and brown belts (1 kyu), and I am the only white belt.

Now my sensei doesn't teach me almost any technique, I only do cardio and stretching and other coordination exercices (the same done by all other karatekas) and, as I said before, NEVER a single technique. Oh yes, one time he taught 3 minutes gedan barai, but quick and without much corrections.

Obv I start getting bored of karate, because I subscribed a karate class not a gym class.

Now what is my sensei's plan? It's normal to never teach some techniques to white belt? Will they be taught after some time? Have I just to wait?

Thanks in advance

scohen0300
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu, Matayoshi Ryu Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately and unfortunately, your job as a white belt is to be a sponge. When I first started, nothing made sense at all! But I kept listening, trusting and doing what I was told the best that I could. Iím no karate master, but Iíve come a LONG way since my beginner days!

However, if you are not enjoying your classes or seeing any improvements (donít forget your patience), then you should find another dojo or martial arts school. Before you make any decisions, Iíd recommend asking your Sensei after class about any and all of your questions or concerns - he should be happy to answer them. If it were me, Iíd be so excited that youíre hungry for knowledge!

ALWAYS: your TEACHER is more important than your STYLE! Whether itís someone you look up to, someone who motivates you, someone you relate to, etc... just make sure you WANT to learn from the person that is teaching you.

I hope this helps!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF, MikeKnopfler; glad that you're here!!

scohen0300 has given your some solid advice.

Have you ever seen The Karate Kid?? Well, if you remember what Daniel-San went through when Mr. Miyagi first agreed to teach Daniel-San by having him do all of those chores, and how frustrated that Daniel-San became, so much so that he was quite angry at Mr. Miyagi, and then Mr. Miyagi showed Daniel-San how all of those chores were done for a purpose; that all things never appear what they really are.

Well, that was once quite commonplace; old school, however, not many Sensei/CI (Chief Instructor) teach in that manner.

I'm not saying that that's what your Sensei is doing at all. What I'm saying is that when you do speak to you Sensei, and you should keep a very open mind and to speak respectfully, but do be direct. Important thing to remember here is that your Sensei/CI runs that dojo across the board, especially its curriculum/syllabus. If after you express your concerns, and you're not too overly thrilled with what your Sensei/CI, then your next decision will be a very important one; your MA (Martial Arts) journey will depend on it.

One other thing, not all black belt can teach, but this might not be the case considering the size of their Student Body, unless that size is reflective of it being a McDojo.

White belt is the most important rank because without white belt, no other rank can ever be earned. The goal of training in the MA is acquiring knowledge and experience, and never rank because rank is meaningless across the board, and only important within a MA Governing Body and/or the dojo, and nowhere else. Proof is on the floor; not around the waist and/or on any piece of paper.

To stay or to leave your dojo will be completely dependent on you, but please exercise patience with your Sensei/CI, but in short, go with your gut to seek greener pastures, but the grass isn't always greener. Remain patience with your training, with your Sensei/CI, and with your MA journey; it'll make the world of difference in the long run.

You said you're new to the MA, and that's ok, we were all beginners too at one time, but with the diligence of patience, we all found that which we were all seeking, and at that very exact moment. Look up, Shu Ha Ri; we all experience it from time to time, no matter ones knowledge and experience.

Good luck!!

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your classes separated for kids and adults?
What kind od coordination exercises you do?
Are other karatekas both kids and adult taught the same way?

It would be good to speak to both the instructor and other students about how its taught in this school, whether its standard practice?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scohen0300 wrote:
Fortunately and unfortunately, your job as a white belt is to be a sponge. When I first started, nothing made sense at all! But I kept listening, trusting and doing what I was told the best that I could. Iím no karate master, but Iíve come a LONG way since my beginner days!

However, if you are not enjoying your classes or seeing any improvements (donít forget your patience), then you should find another dojo or martial arts school. Before you make any decisions, Iíd recommend asking your Sensei after class about any and all of your questions or concerns - he should be happy to answer them. If it were me, Iíd be so excited that youíre hungry for knowledge!

ALWAYS: your TEACHER is more important than your STYLE! Whether itís someone you look up to, someone who motivates you, someone you relate to, etc... just make sure you WANT to learn from the person that is teaching you.

I hope this helps!

These are good points. Does the instructor teach any technique to any of the other, higher ranked students?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: