Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Judodad_karateson
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo, boxing, Karate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Karate Podcasts Reply with quote

Are there any good Karate podcasts out there? I'm a give fan of podcasts and internet radio, but I can't seem to locate any specific to karate, or at least Traditional MA as a whole. Anyone have anything?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that big into podcasts, honestly, but I do follow Iain Abernethy's podcast, which I highly recommend. A couple of my karate friends also have podcasts--KversusJ and Chop Talk.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

muttley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what has been said about Iain Abernethy, great stuff on there. I also used to listen to Lawrence Kain and Kristen Wilder but they seem to have vanished lately.

Oh and I forgot Marc "Animal" MacYoung

Judodad_karateson
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to Iain Abernathy the past 2 days. He is AWESOME! Thanks for letting me know about it! It is exactly what I was looking for! If you find anything else like Abernathy, let me know!

muttley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, try Kris Wilder and Marc Animal MacYoung, they are American "gurus'" when it comes to self defence, also try Rory Miller if you can find any.

liger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RyobuKai (Shindo Jinen Ryu)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about making one yet its not time yet. I would almost say you should make one and have people you know and people from the forum join you for their opinions and more.

The only way to spur more is to make the genre of karate podcast popular.

Judodad_karateson
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liger wrote:
I have thought about making one yet its not time yet. I would almost say you should make one and have people you know and people from the forum join you for their opinions and more.

I have thought about doing that, but I've been out of the game for almost 10 years, just now getting back in. I'd feel like a fraud. Maybe Once Ive ranked up a little in karate, which I just started....

It'd be nice to see more of an intellectual presence on YouTube, too. If you search any art on YouTube, the first 100 results are "this art vs that art" and it shows 2 really poorly trained artists duking it out.

liger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RyobuKai (Shindo Jinen Ryu)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judodad_karateson wrote:
liger wrote:

I have thought about doing that, but I've been out of the game for almost 10 years, just now getting back in. I'd feel like a fraud. Maybe Once Ive ranked up a little in karate, which I just started....

It'd be nice to see more of an intellectual presence on YouTube, too. If you search any art on YouTube, the first 100 results are "this art vs that art" and it shows 2 really poorly trained artists duking it out.

Same here. I would love to do it yet being an under belt and only 4 years in I feel like i may not be the best for this.

muttley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I have wanted to do for ages, trouble is I would feel like a fraud having gained my Shodan and then not training for ages due to various issues.

I might have to get into this once I am back in regular training. Trouble is, how do you find a niche in the market? For practical karate/martial arts there is Iain Abernathy and then for an American slant there is Kris Wilder and Marc Mac Young...I am going to have think where I am going to go with this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: