Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KarateOx
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Karate scene in 2016. Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
I have been out of the Karate scene since the late 90s. I have practiced myself (Isshinryu), but have not had a dojo since about 98. Any dojo I have been in since then has been what we used to call a McDojo (is that term still in use?). I have really been thinking about opening up a dojo again, but am wondering what has changed in the American Karate scene since I left it. I come from a very old school, strict background. No early/easy/numerous promotions. Discipline is everything. Sensei says, student does. Is this going to fly in 2016? Has Karate mellowed/softened? Would parents go for this nowadays? Would adults tolerate this training?
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all WELCOME!

Our industry has fallen victim to the quest for the almighty dollar and hence many dojos are just belt factories that cater to entitled kids and parents because it makes them money. The results are rich instructors and Black Belts with no skills....and a bad reputation overall for certain styles.

There are those of us however that have learned to balance the two and run great programs inspite of this. And, I know there are parents and adults out there that appreciate the old school mentality and discipline that we can provide. It all comes down to packaging what you have in a way that keeps discipline at the forefront and setting expectations the moment they walk in the door.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: