Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Karate suits help! Reply with quote

I have to buy a karate suit tommorow as my teacher does not sell them but I have to order from a catalogue so they will be ready by tuesday. So whats makes a good karate suit? also what is all this light weight and middle weight suits which are the best, if any? Also how will the sixe be listed so I can order the right size. i.e. is it measured from head to toe in cm or what?

Thanks a lot

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not buy light weight. Its cheep but they don't last long. Middle weight is the best for most. I perfer heavy but I like to get a good sweat going. Makes me feel good. LOL..

As far as sizes go make sure you get the waist correct. You can always cut the legs off and make them fit.

The realy question is to go with Elastic, Lace Up or Traditional style pants. To each his or her own.

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

american karate Gi are messaured in random numbers (1,2,3,4,5,6) and half sizes. all companies have size charts (usually slightly different)

Most gi in europe are messarued by height of wear. (im 1.8 meters tall so theoritcally id wear a 180 or 185 gi.
I wear a 200. they shrink. i like to buy a size or two bigger so i can put it in the dryer. heheheh =)

www.seka-sports.com
www.kicktech.net (adidas! W00t)

www.kamikaze.com (kamikaze canada, also carries adidas)
www.kamikazeusa.com (figure it out)
www.kwon.com (good uniforms, not too expensive.)
www.centruyma.com (expensive for heavy weight but american ma standard)
It is also worth a try to call the company and say that you would like wholesale for your club. (or your instructor)
mark up on Karate uniforms is anywhere from 75% to 250% (kwon 45 dollar gis retail for 100-120)
Adidas isnt so much (very high quality gi)

The zak is hopefully opening his own dojo soon and will also be opening a MA store as soon as he has his buisness license =) I will hook all my karate forums people up =P

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks though I orderd before I read the reply. I orderd a medium weight which was reletivly cheap but the heavy weight would take longer to deliver and also I'm still growing so its not worth buying a really expensive suit if its only going to last a few months.

thanks anyway

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Hey zak we are going to hold you to that! .... good luck on the business endeavor! )

Sizes and styles are varied among the distributors. (and from what country you purchase from!)

I just received a new gi for the "big day" .... (ProForce brand)
I like the medium weight .... (heavy is too uncomfortable) it gives a good "snap".
Look for material that has a high content of polyester in it ... won't shrink or wrinkle as much! Also we have ours screenprinted with school logo on back so material content has to withstand washings so as logo doesn't wear out or crack.
Also look at stitching detail ..... double stitched seams for durability!

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a 15 oz gi be considered heavy, or medium?? I'm considering purchasing a Satori gi, they come in 12 or 15 oz. The two gi I have now are medium-weight but I have no idea how many ounces so I can't really compare

ZakariRu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the measure it by weight per yard (or meter) 15 oz is not really a heavy weight gi, its heavier than the super heavy weight gis

7-9 oz is considered medium

i have a gi that is 10 and another that is 11 for the most part they are considered heavy =)
lightweight any thing thats partially cotton partialy poly (3 oz i think usually) my kumite gi i can fold into a * pack if i want.
medium weight is 7-9 and 10-12 is heavy.
anything heavier than 12 is super heavy and rather uncomfortable to train in (heavy gi make you faster )

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the info--I'm glad I asked! On Satori's site they say their standard gi is 15 oz, and that they've recently begun offering a 12 oz version recommended for young/small people and beginners. Based on that I figured 12 must be pretty light, now I'm not sure I want one even that heavy. I liked the sound of them because their traditional gis come with 3/4 sleeves & pants, so I wouldn't have to get them hemmed up, plus a couple other tailoring details that are supposed to make them very comfortable. Anybody have any experience with Satori?

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KickChick wrote:
I like the medium weight .... (heavy is too uncomfortable) it gives a good "snap".
Look for material that has a high content of polyester in it ... won't shrink or wrinkle as much!

The end of the world must have come, becasue I am actually disagreeing with kickchick on something !
A: I prefer heavyweight dogis for several reasons:
Durability.
Comfort.
tradition.
B: I prefer cotton to polyester. Polyester traps moisture and ends up sticking to one as one practices. Polyester Gi also look "cheap." Yes, cotton is more difficult to care for (Wash in cold, and hang dry), but I've never had a problem with my 100% cotton heavyweight Gi wrinkling. Of course, I take to time to fold it before placing it into by pack after practice, and I wash it and air dry it after training. I have also never had a problem with cotton gi shrinking. Most higher quality 100% cotton gi wil shrink a small amount with the first laundering, but after that they will maintain their size as long as one is careful to ONLY use COLD water.
Personal favs:
Tokaido (of course, but hellishly expensive!)
Meijin (available through Dragon IMporters (www.dragon-tsunami.com).

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bro has an ironman gi...likes it a lot, gives a good snap. Actually helped him win at a tournament!

I've never had a middleweight, but I think it would feel too light. I'm very used to my heavyweight century gi. I started with a lightweight and it feels nice and airy, but the heavyweight is far superior.
Especially if you're like me and don't grow much. I find that as the gi ages, it gets softer and more comfortable. However, it is still Century and therefore has the tendency to occasionally be a piece of crap. I once had my heavyweight gi pants fall apart in a month or two. I put my leg through the pantleg and the whole seam ripped out.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: