Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: KarateForums.com: Five Years Online Reply with quote

Hello,

On this day, May 21st, 5 years ago - I launched KarateForums.com. So, in light of this occasion, I thought that I would talk a bit about the site, it’s history and the like, if you’d care to read.

One of the funny things about me managing KarateForums.com is that I do not and have never practiced a martial art. It’s something that banned users love to call attention to, but I’ve always been open about this fact and have never stated my martial arts knowledge as anything outside of minuscule, at best. Nonetheless, I have received some funny e-mails over the years. One of my favorites was from a banned user who was complaining that I allowed people to say things about his art, but not other arts. In this case, the other art was Karate. So, in his e-mail, he tells me that my decisions “might have something to do with the fact that you yourself train karate.”

The thing that some people fail to grasp is the fact that to manage a martial arts community, you do not need martial arts knowledge. You need to be able to manage an internet community – you must know how to manage and treat people, how to make decisions, how to work hard, etc.

The common question I get from people is why? Why did I start a martial arts community if I’m not all that interested in the martial arts themselves?

Well, more than 5 years ago, I had an idea. I saw a good name, a light bulb went off and I liked the idea of running a martial arts community. I can’t really explain why, but I did. I like managing communities. Sure, there are good and bad times that come along with being the person in charge, but overall, I enjoy doing this and I believe that I do it very well. Back then, I believed that I could create a world class martial arts discussion community that could lead the genre.

Our community has always been different. The most notable thing is the respect that we require our users to show each other. Not everyone likes that not only do we allow discussions on things that they believe are utter nonsense, but we don’t allow them to direct inflammatory or disrespectful comments to the people having the discussion. This drives them crazy and some people have crowned themselves martial arts truth decider general or something and simply go around judging people. We won’t have any of that. And so they take it out on us.

We try to treat everyone the same. Whether you are Grandmaster Flash, a world champion kickboxer, a school owner, a black belt or just looking for help choosing an art. Our User Guidelines apply to you and you will be expected to contribute within them.

Another big thing is our atmosphere, our environment. We’re family friendly, we’re work friendly. We are built to be inviting and welcoming to people of all ages from all sorts of backgrounds and levels of experience. This turns some people off – some people hate kids or hate the inexperienced. But, again, we won’t have any of that.

When I started this site, I was a kid. Heck, I still am a kid. And having managed communities as long as I have, I can say that as far as problems go – kids aren’t it. People of all ages are it. Some of the biggest idiots I’ve ever had to deal with here at KarateForums.com have been in their 30s and 40s.

So, respect for each other and a friendly, inviting environment are really the hallmarks of this community and a couple of the primary goals that we have been in pursuit of since day one.

We accomplish this through strict adherence to our User Guidelines and a constantly watchful eye on the community as a whole. But, I have been very lucky to have a number of very great, kind, committed individuals who have helped me to accomplish these goals. Their contributions have been immensely important and their support when it mattered most has meant a great deal to me. I don’t just consider them staff members or ex-staff members, I consider them to be good friends.

These people include Pat McQuinn or SaiFightsMS, Laurie Snow, also known as karatekid1975, Tammy McBeth or monkeygirl, Doug North or KSN Doug, Heidi Wilmott, otherwise known as ninjanurse and Greg Heinisch, known mostly as gheinisch.

I would also like to thank current staff members Scott Shepard or scottnshelly, Sam Unruh, better known as vertigo, Pamela Kovacs, a.k.a. June1, Aubrey Nielsen, also known as niel0092, Christopher Butts or shogeri and the latest addition to our team, Tom Minota, most popularly known as patusai.

A big thanks also goes out to James Dasher, who was a big help at the start of KF, Jackie McGhee, who designed the site and created our logo and Lars Ostergaard, who created our cool little belt images that a chosen few have taken entirely too seriously.

Finally, I’d like to thank you and all of our truly loyal members that have supported us and positively contributed to the community, helping to make it what it is.

Thanks for reading.

(This was taken, by and large, from the KarateForums.com Fifth Anniversary Podcast).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ShotokanKid
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shotokan Karate, Judo, FMA/Inosanto Kali

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened to the mp3 of this.
I would just like to thank you for starting and maintaining this forum. When I made my first post, I was frustrated with karate and wanted to quit. KF has turned me into a MA nut.
Thanks again Patrick, and congratulations for 5 years!

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Five year aniversary Reply with quote

This is an awesome site. I love everything about it. I feel like I have been able to make contact with the martial arts community as a whole, and enjoy the interaction that takes place on the site.

Job well done.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly an amazing accomplishment for you Patrick! We live in a society where it is often hard to find a peaceful place to visit and converse with friends-especially on the internet! Thank you for all your hard work in keeping KF that peaceful place!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sliknik
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kempo Jitsu 3rd kyu blue belt and Wado Ryu 9th kyu Red Belt,Tai Chi Yang Style 24 Form

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: karateforums Reply with quote

hi

well done to start the site up and i soon i be doing web design for 5years
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all and thanks for being a part of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have really enjoyed my short time here at KF. I think Patrick has done a great job with the site and he is lucky to have so many fine people who have made positive contributions to his forum's success. I'm sure to be looking forward to the 10th anniversary of KF with the same expectations of outstanding achievement.

With respect,

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, well done. You gave us credit, but I feel you deserve most of it for your hard work on this site. We did help, but it was your hard work and dedication that kept it going.

Like Heidi said, it's hard to find a peaceful place on the net to share MA with others, get advice, ect. But you created that peaceful place. I've been to other forums, but none compare to this one. I've had "problems" in MA. If it wasn't for KF, and all the help and advice I recieved, I don't think I would still be doing MA. I want to thank all those members for their help over the years that I've been on KF. You guys helped me so much. Thanks

Keep up the great work, and Happy 5th!

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of this website, the conversations, the people, everything. I'm consistently impressed that this isn't a place for people to simply toot their own horns or argue. The debates, free exchange of information, and the lively conversations are what the internet is really for.
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: