Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: KarateForums.com Turns 10 Years Old! Reply with quote

Hey all,

Thank you for visiting KarateForums.com.

Wow. Today is a special day. It was 10 years ago today that I launched KarateForums.com. I kicked it all off with an announcement on May 21, 2001 at 10:44 AM ET.

To think about the passage of time, I can't help but get a little emotional, when I think about not only this community, but also my own life and what has transpired in this time. When I launched this community, I was 16 years old. I'm 26 now. Memories upon memories, good and bad, run through my mind as I type this message. Where does the time go?

My life is richer for having started this site. Yes, this is what I do full time (manage my network of websites), but I'm speaking personally. I have so met many great people through this community, people that I consider to be my friends and I hope that the same is true for you. If not, I hope that will eventually be the case for you.

KarateForums.com is a special community. It is a community deeply rooted in respect. No matter what topic is being discussed, from the controversial aspects of the martial arts to belt colors, I believe that it can be discussed respectfully. That is the overriding principle of KarateForums.com. This is a friendly, respectful community. That is who we are.

Though our numbers are quite large (over 460,000 posts, 38,000 topics and 12,000 registered members), it's never been about numbers. I don't care about activity. I care about culture. That is what we guard, that is what we look after - the culture of KarateForums.com. On staff, we vigorously defend it and ensure that it remains. That martial artists may enjoy a community that is welcoming and respectful, if they so choose.

You are a part of this culture. You are a part of what makes this community great. Thank you. Thank you for being a part of KarateForums.com and for helping to make this community what it is.

I would like to thank all of you by name specifically, but realize that the sheer number of names of all of our members may very well cause some damage to our database (I'm kidding, but it's a long list).

First, I'd like to thank all of my staff, past and present. My staff has always played a vital role in the success of this community, whether or not everyone was aware of it. They work behind the scenes to take care of a lot of issues that members will and should never know about. They do it because they enjoy this community, just like you, and they want to help maintain this environment. They have been some of the greatest contributors to these forums.

Thank you Heidi (ninjanurse), Brian (bushido_man96), Pat (SaiFightsMS), Tammy (monkeygirl), Laurie (PunchPressQueen75), Doug (PSBN Doug), Greg (gheinisch), Danielle (DWx), Alex (tallgeese), Steve (ZR440), Rachael (aefibird), William (iamrushman), Brenda (white owl), G95champ, Ben (GrrrArgh), Scott (scottnshelly), Jack (Jack), Ed (KarateEd), kicker, Jennifer (Rateh), Rusty (pittbullJudoka), Kevin (lordtariel), Dave (the beast), George (KarateGeorge), Ramona (ramymensa), Jeffrey (Jeffrey), Cliff (JiuJitsuNation), Sam (vertigo) and everyone who has ever served as a member of the team.

Thank you to every member who has ever contributed to this community in a positive manner. Your contributions are felt by many and are greatly appreciated and this is a time for you to be celebrated, as well.

This includes Bob (sensei8), Joe (joesteph), ps1, ZeRo, isshinryu5toforever, Treebranch, Red J, Shotokan-kez, Goju_boi, battousai16, cathal, cross, Shorin Ryuu, TJS, ShotokanKid, Menjo, delta1, Sam, Pacificshore, patusai, italian_guy, Kensai, KarateK, GoldDragon, Karateka_latino, JerryLove, The BB of C, y2_sub, Kirves, baronbvp, BKJ1216, Jay, Tiger1962, NightOwl, June1, krzychicano, Adonis, kchenault, pineapple, JusticeZero, granmasterchen, Icetuete, marie curie, LeaF, Valithor, TheDevilAside, Throwdown0850, Kuma, tufrthanu, Lupin1, IcemanSK, Blade13, CloudDragon, GeoGiant, MasterPain, yamesu, Montana, ShoriKid, BDPulver, Wastelander, still kicking, Shizentai, whitematt, Sokusen, pers, Dobbersky, Groinstrike, honoluludesktop, Nevinyrral, evergrey, quinteros1963, wingedMonkey, RW, CTTKDKing, Derwentbob, sperki, wolverine uskf, sojobo, Kruczek, brickshooter, JohnASE, mindsedgeblade, Soheir, ashworth, MMA_Jim, Blade96, Fish, Iron Arahat, Ace2021, seersin, armanox, StrangeBacon, WireFrame, Killer Miller, tonydee, Kieran-Lilith and so, so many others!

Thank you to Jackie McGhee, the creator of the design we've used all this time (we've got our mileage out of it!) and Lars Ostergaard, who designed our belt rank images (same! ). Thank you to Jared Smith for all of his technical assistance and Reuben Regier for being a great partner. Thank you to James Dasher for helping to motivate me to get this community started.

In all, thank you - everyone who has ever contributed positively to this community, thank you.

My thoughts out of the way, we are celebrating! There are two key things that we're doing that I'd love for you to be involved in:

KarateForums.com 10th Anniversary Celebration forum

This is a forum created especially for this occasion. This is the place to reminisce over the last 10 years and share your memories. In this forum, we'll also have a handful of articles looking back at the community and highlighting the thoughts of some current and former members of staff. Please join in!

KarateForums.com 10th Anniversary Livestream Party

On May 28, 2011 from 5-8 PM ET (GMT/UTC -4), we'll be hosting a special livestream party where I will host a live video stream, where I will chat with special guests from the community and reflect on the last 10 years. Part of the experience is a live chat room where everyone can chat and have some fun. The livestream will be available at http://www.karateforums.com/livestream.php

I really hope you are able to make it for a part of the livestream, if not all of it! If you are, please RSVP here on KarateForums.com and on Facebook!

I think that is everything.

Thank you for reading this and for supporting KarateForums.com!

Sincerely,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Patrick, 10 years ago today. I'll bet you never figured the world would be ending today. Ha Ha! LOL. Congrats on your success! For starting so young in your life you have indeed accomplished a lot and have a very bright future. You should be proud. I feel fortunate to be able to call you a friend. Good luck on the next 10 years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Patrick!!!! What a great milestone for a great community!

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Patrick and thank you!

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have and continue to do a great job. Forums can get out of hand, I know because I have been on some of them, this is the only one I actively participate in because its fun to be a part of.

Congratulations

Jeffrey
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Patrick. You truly have created something special here.

Jeffrey

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Patrick, his staff, and to all who've contributed to making KarateForums.com what it is today, and what it will be tomorrow, and what it will be in the future...a fun dynamic presence that not only enriches to the betterment of the martial arts, but to the betterment of this community, as well as to the betterment of its members.

Patrick....THANK YOU!!

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Patrick! A decade of KF.com!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday KarateForums.com!

I wish I had found this place when it kicked off, but as has been said, better late than never! I plan on being around for another 10 years, as well.

Congrats on a fantastic community, Patrick!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: