Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

HKAScottR
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Okinawa Kenpo Karate Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject: Kata with JO Reply with quote

I am embarking on a bit of research project ad looking for input. I would like to learn about kata featuring the JO. The very inital info I have found is mostly geared toward kendo training, which is cool, but not what I am after.

Anyone out there have a JO kata or training specific toward the JO that they would be willing to share?

Thank you in advance!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Shindokan, we train and teach a wide variety of Kobudo, and Jo is one of them. We don't teach Jo until 4th Kyu because students most have a better control of the Bo, which is first taught at 6th Kyu.

Jo is also the introduction at 2nd Kyu for the Rattan Sticks, which are about 28 inches long, whereas the Jo is about 4 feet long.

We've several Kata's for the Jo and the Rattan Sticks, aka, Escrima Sticks.

I'm sure the YouTube has many Jo training and kata for the Jo; might find what you're looking for.

Here are two good books on the Jo, and they also contains a few Jo Kata and drills...

Jo: The Japanese Short Staff by Don Zier and Tom Lang

AND...

Essential Jo: Comprehensive techniques and 2-person drills for the Japanese 4-foot staff by Dan Djurdjevic

Hope you find what you're looking for.

HKAScottR
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Okinawa Kenpo Karate Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sensei8, you continue to be a wealth of knowledge!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HKAScottR wrote:
Thank you Sensei8, you continue to be a wealth of knowledge!

You're welcome, HKAScottR, and thank you. I do hope you find what you're searching for soon.

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kata with JO Reply with quote

HKAScottR wrote:
I am embarking on a bit of research project ad looking for input. I would like to learn about kata featuring the JO. The very inital info I have found is mostly geared toward kendo training, which is cool, but not what I am after.

Anyone out there have a JO kata or training specific toward the JO that they would be willing to share?

Thank you in advance!

Yes I have one to share but not sure how as I am low tech (dont even own a' smart phone ' and there is no film of it .

I call it jo 20 and I developed it for my club . It is mostly done against the bokken , or other similar weapon ( another jo or shafted weapon ) .

The first half are single 'finish it ' moves . The second section is aback and forth dynamic between the two , as in a choreographed fight .

Some of it is similar to Aiki kai 'jo 20 '

Like movie - fu most people think its a real fight and when watching go ' Oooo ... ahhhh ! '

I could explain it via text but ...... ?

PS . here is an interesting experiment ;

take your jo or bo and add a rubber * spear point to one end . Now, when performing your kata observe what moves then get done with that end of the jo

* of course it doesnt have to be rubber , you could just do your jo kata with a spear, but I found when explaining and showing these 'new bunkai' , and not wanting to injure people I would 'miss' .... according to them . The rubber point sorted out that .

PPS SOFT rubber .... I made a corded surugin with a hard rubber tip ... the guys where dancing around going " Owww ! OOooo ! Ouch ! That ******* thing still hurts ! "

I guess you will have to visit down under .

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kata with JO Reply with quote

HKAScottR wrote:

Thank you in advance!

Being the new guy, I am a bit late to the game, but looking for some posts that I might be able to contribute to.

The art can be a bit of a lightening rod, but Bruce Juchnik of Sei Kosho Shorei Kai has some interesting Jo kata that they teach.

Does the Shintō Musō-ryū not interest you? They have like 70 different jo kata. It's going to be hard to find any koryu jojutsu that isn't tied to some degree to kenjutsu/kendo due to the Musashi/Gonnosuke dual.

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologise that I missed this post on its initial publishing. I will begin by stating that in my experience, most Koryu (Historical Jojutsu Schools) employ Kumigata (Paired Kata) almost exclusively. Solo Forms with the Jo have always proven to be modern inventions in my experience, both on Dojo Floors and in studying Texts and Sources. Based on the framing of the question, as there are plenty of examples of Paired Jo Exercises out there, I get the impression it is Solo Form training you are after.

With that said, the Seitei Jodo of the Zen Nihon Kendō Renmei (All Japan Kendo Federation) is the most easily accessed form of Jodo in the world. It is often practiced alongside Kendo and Iaido at schools that offer instruction in those arts. it is grounded in Shintō Musō-ryū Jojutsu and provides a sound basis for study of Koryu or Historical Martial Arts involving the Jo/Short Staff. Seitei Jodo as a curriculum is very concise, and the solo and paired work map well to each other. However, I do not believe Seitei Jodo includes Solo Forms.

The most widely practiced example of Jo Kata, and I will use "Kata" from here on out for Solo Forms, that I am aware of are from Aikijo/Aikibudo. San Ju Ichi no Jo (31 Jo Kata) and Ju San no Jo (13 Jo Kata), which get their respective names from the number of techniques performed in the kata, are found in the Iwama-Ryu as propagated by the late Saito Morihiro. Apparently, according to Saito, at least San Ju Ichi no Jo was created by Ueshiba Morihei but having reviewed what footage exists of Ueshiba's Jodogeiko I have found none of him performing the aforementioned kata. I quite like Ju San no Jo as it maps well to the Subari (Kihonwaza/Basic strikes and thrusts) and Kumi-jo (Kumigata/Paired Forms) of Aikijo so I would view it as useful Shadow-Training.

I have also seen a Roku no Jo (6 Jo Kata) connected to Iwama-Ryu but it appears to have come into existence after the passing of Saito Morihiro. What I have been told is that it was created as an easier first kata for beginners. It is taken from the second section of the San Ju ichi no Jo. I have also seen a Nana no Jo (7 Jo Kata) which is an abridgement of Ju San no Jo. Strangely enough I have seen both demonstrated as variations of the same kata as a six count kata. Admittedly, I think both kata are so brief that you would be better off practicing Suburi for solo practice. I think their sole utility is in learning how to do a kata which is functionally only for an absolute beginner.

I have also seen a Niju no Jo (20 Jo Kata) and Niju Ni no Kata (22 Jo Kata), which look functionally the same to me, but appear to be named differently because someone has counted the moves in a different manner. The versions I have seen look like Ju San no Jo with Roku no Jo welded onto the end to extend it. From what I have been told it was created as a midway between 13 Jo Kata and 31 Jo Kata, and I can understand that to an extent because 13 to 31 is over a double the increasing of moves in the kata.

There are also some Kata I have seen connected to the Yoshinkan branch of Aikibudo and its offshoots. The first, of what I have seen labelled Jo Kata 1 (Ichigata no Jo) most often, bears a resemblance to the aforementioned 20/22 Count Kata. The second to the previously mentioned San Ju Ichi no Jo but mostly in technique count, embusen, and some novel techniques found broadly in Aikibudo regardless of branch. I have seen a Third Kata, but my resources indicate only the first two are widely practiced.

Those are the Aikijo/Aikibudo Kata I am aware of, and outside of Seitei Jodo, it is probably the most accessible form of Jojutsu. I will state that Aikijo is about getting better at Aikido, and the principles of Aikido, rather than getting good with the Jo as a weapon. Thus, unless you intend to study said principles Aikijo might not be the resource for you.

Outside of Aikijo, I can parrot Tatsujin, and state that the Kosho Shorei-Ryu of Bruce Juchnik has at least a pair of Jo Kata called Ma-Ai No Jo. You can find virtual lessons for these Kata offered by Juchnik himself. Again, as with Aikijo, these Jo kata are designed to teach ideas and principles about their parent art, in this case Kosho Shorei-Ryu, so you need to be mindful of that.

Another source I can think of is the World Jui-Jitsu Federation of the Late Robert Clark. Its black-belt syllabus had at least a pair of Kata for Jo. Admittedly, the late Mr Clark embellished his studies, and invented a lot fo what he taught, so you would need to take any of the kata which a grain of salt.

The Ryu-Te of Oyata Seiyū, and its off-shoots, incorporate the practice of the Gusan (Okinawan Jo). However, from the kata I have seen they look like Kon (Okinawan Rokushakubo) kata adapted to the Jo. As the Jo is not studied in Taira Ha Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Yamane-Ryu, or Matayoshi-Ryu I must admit I am sceptical of the authenticity. With that said, even if they are not historical kata, they are adapted from historical kata so you are not going to go far wrong.

I have seen Cerio no Kon, Sho and Dai, from Nick Cerio's Kenpo Karate adapted to the Jo. I have also seen the staff sets from Ed Parker's American Kempo Karate and Tracy's Kempo Karate adapted to the Jo. I was not taken with the Parker Set, but Cerio and the Tracy Brothers did at least study weapon arts under reputable sources so I felt the adaptations of their kata had a little more substance.

I do have my own system of Jojutsu I teach parallel to Ryukyu Kobujutsu and Kukamishin-Ryu for my students interested in the Jo. It does not exist in Ryukyu Kobujutsu as a weapon, and I believe the Jojutsu found in Kukishinden was an invention of Takamatsu so I have removed it from my interpretation of Kukamishin-ryu. I have four kata I developed as Shadow-Training to mirror the Kumigata and Subari of my system. Thus, I do see a purpose in solo forms for the Jo, but I do think they need to be mapped to partner work, and do something that just working on basic techniques would not achieve better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: