Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

searcher
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Chito-ryu(Shorin and Shorei), Isshinryu, Hawaiian Kenpo, Judo, Ryukyu Kobudo Currently studying ITF TKD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fisrt system I studied was Ed Parker's American Kenpo Karate. I studiesd there for two years and then went on to a different school, the Kenpo school was shutting down. As for what styles that I study I study Chito ryu, Goju ryu currently and I have studied Judo(still practise, but not actively training for competition) and Ed Parker's Kenpo Karate. I have also dabbled in Isshinryu and I used to do American boxing.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaiKudo-Ka,

Kenpo's literal translation meant "Fist Law" or Chuan-Fa(Chinese). Kempo is the Japanese version and essentially means the same thing. Since there are so many variations of Kenpo/Kempo out there, you'll find that their influence can be derived from the Chinese or Japanese.

Some Kenpo/Kempo system will use the Japanese based katas, and some won't, it just depends on their influences. As far as Parker's System, he developed his own system after studying Kenpo with Professor Chow in Hawaii. His influence as far as his katas goes is more Chinese based in my opinion.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks, Pacific Shore, I remember now. Isn't "fist law" (quan fa/chuan fa) basically the generic term for "boxing" or "fighting" in China? As in "monk fist boxing" - "arhat quan fa"?

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, pretty much.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: