Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shinka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hoshinkido Hapkido, Genbukan Ninjutsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Shorin Ryu for almost 2 years, couple years ago. Like you said it was great for kicks and punches but not many technic to go after that...
I've turned to many different styles and now I'm practicing Hapkido.

I prefer the fact that it's 6 martial arts into one...So you can defend yourself in any kind of situation...ground,standing etc... Over 3800 technic in total (not kidding) I'm ripping my hair off sometime at my belt exams lol

BUT... Every type of martial art as it's good and it's bad. Some will be better in some style than others etc... Just need to complete your training with some stuff you may want to be more complete in...like bits of ground fighting. Maybe adding Jujitsu etc...

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trained Shotokan for 2 years long ago, and recently got into Shorin Ryu because of the similarities. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the differences! In Shotokan, we RARELY did any takedowns or throws. The blocks were blocks. No grabs. It was basically one shot, one kill. In this system, Sensei bases his system on Shorin Ryu mainly with some Shotokan, but he also employs Tai Chi, Kenpo, Akido, and Jiu Jitsu. We do more traps, grabs, breaks, throws. For example, in Shotokan, if someone threw a punch at my chest, my training taught me to step back and block with a powerful inner (or outer) chest block and counter. In this system, I 'evade" by stepping slightly to the side (and sometimes, even toward the opponent if I need to crowd him), use the block, but hook (trap) the attacking hand and counter. Not just a counter kick to the stomach or punch to the face, but possibly a kick to the inner thigh, outer thigh, a forearm strike to the elbow, etc. And a throw to finish it off. Or possibly an armlock after the trap.

In my previous training, I was taught wonderful basics, which is why my form is ahead of my peers. However, it was rarely put into "real life" situations. Now, I'm learning how to control the opponent's body, his joints, I'm finding openings while sparring so much easier. And I'm learning just how effective I can be (I am probably 4 times physically stronger than I was when I trained years ago)
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: