Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jackets
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anyone here who takes Kenpo? How would you discribe the art? What does it emphasize? Thanks.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't take it, but it was one that I was investigating early on. Again, there are variations of Kenpo also.

Mainly fast and hard hand strikes. Some kicks, but usually kept below waist level. Mostly a striking art though. Some weapons at the higher levels. I would have gone with it had I not found something similar to Hapkido.

Check out Jeff Speakman in "The Perfect Weapon" and you'll see some good Kenpo action.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a practioner of Kenpo/Kempo(used interchangeably). As KSN Doug states there are many variations of Kenpo. There's Chinese Kenpo, Okinawan Kempo, American Kenpo, Kara-Ho Kempo, Kajukenbo, Shorinji Kempo, Koshu-Ryu Kempo, Hawaiian Kenpo, etc.

Kenpo/Kempo is for the most part a striking art that focuses on mainly on self defense techniques. They do have their respective katas and some have weapons training. They also incorporate kicks just like any other martial arts system, how they are executed is up to the system.

Kenpo/Kempo is sometimes seen as an "overkill" system because of the numerous strikes taught in a self defense technique. You may even hear it called a "slap" art because of the many checks the art uses. The use of the check is to prevent any intentional or unintentional strikes after delivering your strike or counterstrike.

If you watch "The Perfect Weapon", what you will see is American Kenpo, otherwise known as Parker Kenpo. Do a search on the net under Kenpo and you should see many hits on the subject. If you have a Kenpo school near you go observe a class and talk to the instructor, students, or parents.

Well hope this is of some help.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my Martial Arts in Kempo (chinese system) then switched to Kenpo (Japanese) I never studied the Ed Parker system which employs multiple hand strikes in continuation. Our system does employ this type of technique but it isn't our foundation. Most Kenpo/Kempo systems are constantly evolving which makes it a good system to learn due to the fact it changes with the demands of criminals. Most Kenpo systems favor hand tech. over kicking however, because of my Tae Kwon Do background I incorporate that into my system. So look around because one school will prob. vary a LOT to another.

Pete

EnvE
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in American Kenpo. Pacificshore is right, it's mainly based on strikes and punches.

I come to with "Kenpo Karate", law of the fist and the empty hand. My skills include fighting with or without weapons. Should I be forced to defend myself, my family or my freinds. Should it be a matter of life or death, right or wrong, then here are my weapons, "Kenpo Karate", law of the fist and the empty hand...

Jackets
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much (if any) is grapling a part of this art? I tend to be more of a natural grappler then anything else. THanks for your resposes guys

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean the type of grappling where you roll around on the ground, then there isn't any unless some Kenpo system incorporates it into the cirriculum.

Kenpo/Kempo has many take-down techniques that can range from sweeps to trips to throws, but the main emphasis is to take out your attacker with multiple strikes using both your hands and feet.

If you're more comfortable with grappling, have you thought about Jujitsu or Judo and then cross training in Kenpo?

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnvE - that is a different variation of Funacoshis' saying... I come to you with Karate Empty hands, I have no weapons... etc. etc. etc. Never heard it changed to Kenpo before.

Many systems of Kenpo incorporte Ju Jitsu into their system. My friend who I train with now is training in Small Circle Ju Jitsu and adds that to his routine. Thats what I love about Kenpo is if you're with a good instructor who is open minded then techniques from other styles will be incorportated into the system.

Many other systems like Tae Kwon Do have close minded instructors who claim that their way is the only way and as most of us already know that is not true.

Pete

EnvE
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's meant to be like this> Kenpo/Karate

Otherwise it'll be like this> Empty hand empty hand, which is odd...

[ This Message was edited by: EnvE on 2002-05-21 20:32 ]

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnvE did you add that or did you hear that from someone else? I'm not criticizing at all so don't take it the wrong way. I just t hink it is an interesting twist to his saying.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: