Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. i think there's too many different styles of karate, but whatever.

Anywho, what's kenpo karate? like what does it focus on, and does it use grappling or anything like that at all? Is it a good art for self defense? Does it use weapons? what's the history of it?

i know.. lotsa question, but I like learning about the different arts. I dunno why.. I just do.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

Use the search or go to the general discussion and locate the post on kenpo. There you'll find out about what Kenpo is. I'd do the forum post thing if I knew how, but I don't!!

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, I tried looking for a few kenpo posts. Found em, but not many of them answers my question. boohoo. Hehe anyway, at least can someone tell me if kenpo incorporates grappling and weapons, and how much it focuses on things like sparring, self defense, katas, etc. and any other related info. ooh and also, this is kinda outta topic, but if you do TKD, crosstraining in kenpo would be bad, right? because people say TKD and shotokan are really similar, but i'm not too sure about TKD and kenpo. and, another thing.. is kenpo more of a sport art(like WTF TKD) or a self defense art(like ju-jitsu)?
thnks.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here goes..........Kenpo/Kempo is a self defense oriented style of martial arts. It's focus is on strikes and kicks. There is no grappling in the sense of the word, unless it has been incorporated into the system by some other means(crosstraining).

They do use weapons such as the bo or escrima sticks. I know the style of Kempo I practice uses all traditional kobudo weapons. It just depends of the school and it's cirriculum, as would the grappling.

Many of the Kenpo/Kempo schools emphasis self defense first, but does offer kata training as well. Their self defense techniques uses multiple hand strikes in conjunction with kicks.

And like TKD, Shotokan, Kenpo/Kempo also incorporates sparring training. However, they are mostly about self defense rather than sport.

As far as crosstraining in Kenpo with TKD, you'll find that you use your hands alot, have alot of low type stances, kicks will generally be lower and the method of delivery different.

I don't think that crosstraining is a bad thing, but it's always a good thing to get a basic foundation in one art before moving onto another, especially if it is a stand-up type art.
In my opinion, crosstraining in a stand-up art and a grappling art would be an easier transition.

Well hope this answers most of what your looking for!!

rabid hamster
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks a bunch, yep that was what I was looking for!

Kempo_Dude
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenpo is not good, its boring, a little bit. Not very poeple likes Kenpo.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: