Add KarateForums.com
VOTING OPEN! KarateForums.com Awards 2019!
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health, Training and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

JR 137
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Joined: 10 May 2015
Posts: 2382
Location: In the dojo
Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday 7/14 - 220.8

No idea how I've only lost about a half a pound since last week. I haven't eaten as much as before I started, I haven't drank any soda, and I've been hitting the bag about 3x a week, in addition to 2x a week at the dojo.

I feel better and my clothes fit me a little looser, so I don't know. The only explanation I have is I've been drinking a ton of water, so maybe I'm retaining it more?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

JR 137
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Joined: 10 May 2015
Posts: 2382
Location: In the dojo
Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
I was at 198.9 at the doctor's office. Bought a scale the other day (it's been a month) and it says 191. I'll be visiting the doctor for a followup on Monday, so I'll compare the scale there to the one I have at home to see how I'm doing.


I weighed 220.8 this morning - after going to the bathroom, wearing nothing, and before eating and drinking anything.

Weighed myself a little while ago - fully clothed, pockets full of the usual stuff, and after eating - 230.0. I didn't gain 9.2 lbs of fat today
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Patrick
KF Administrator

Joined: 01 May 2001
Posts: 27098
Location: Los Angeles, California

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way belated thanks for the kind words, JR.

JR 137 wrote:
http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/split-cardio-and-weights-to-reduce-belly-fat?utm_campaign=DailyDose&utm_source=menshealth.com&utm_medium=newsletter&smartcode=YN_0005353772_0001619692&sha1hashlower=9d5c24c999632a82082dab2fa0b64b5683e8bc8d&md5hash=99cc53709ab0de45e4fa41642cb3e56a

Spoiler alert: the group that did weights one and day and cardio the next day lost significantly more fat than the group that did weights then cardio on the same day. Interesting.

That's really interesting. And good for me. Honestly, I find it better to spread it out, anyway!
_________________
Vote for Your Favorites in the KarateForums.com Awards 2019!
Patrick O'Keefe - KarateForums.com Administrator
Have a suggestion or a bit of feedback relating to KarateForums.com? Please contact me!
KarateForums.com Articles - KarateForums.com Awards - Member of the Month - User Guidelines
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

JR 137
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Joined: 10 May 2015
Posts: 2382
Location: In the dojo
Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7/28
218.6 lbs

I honestly have no idea why I'm not losing much weight. My clothes are getting baggier, my face is noticeably thinner. My pants belt is loose and I need a new one.

I've been in the dojo at least 2x a week and hit the bag at least twice a week (most weeks have been 3 times). 10 rounds, 2.5 minutes per round, with 1 minute rest. I spend significant time in the peak hr zone.

I'm eating right and have completely eliminated soda.

I've got to get my Total Gym out of the closet and start using that again. It's just a matter of rearranging a bunch of stuff in the house and making space.

I'm just stumped by this. Maybe I'm getting old
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 958
Location: Michigan
Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
7/28
218.6 lbs

I honestly have no idea why I'm not losing much weight. My clothes are getting baggier, my face is noticeably thinner. My pants belt is loose and I need a new one.

I've been in the dojo at least 2x a week and hit the bag at least twice a week (most weeks have been 3 times). 10 rounds, 2.5 minutes per round, with 1 minute rest. I spend significant time in the peak hr zone.

I'm eating right and have completely eliminated soda.

I've got to get my Total Gym out of the closet and start using that again. It's just a matter of rearranging a bunch of stuff in the house and making space.

I'm just stumped by this. Maybe I'm getting old


As you probably know muscle is more dense than fat, so maybe you're losing inches of fat, and gaining muscle mass, hence keeping the weight relatively stable.
_________________
5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

JR 137
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Joined: 10 May 2015
Posts: 2382
Location: In the dojo
Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
7/28
218.6 lbs

I honestly have no idea why I'm not losing much weight. My clothes are getting baggier, my face is noticeably thinner. My pants belt is loose and I need a new one.

I've been in the dojo at least 2x a week and hit the bag at least twice a week (most weeks have been 3 times). 10 rounds, 2.5 minutes per round, with 1 minute rest. I spend significant time in the peak hr zone.

I'm eating right and have completely eliminated soda.

I've got to get my Total Gym out of the closet and start using that again. It's just a matter of rearranging a bunch of stuff in the house and making space.

I'm just stumped by this. Maybe I'm getting old


As you probably know muscle is more dense than fat, so maybe you're losing inches of fat, and gaining muscle mass, hence keeping the weight relatively stable.


I've told myself that a few times. I haven't convinced myself that that's what it is yet though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 958
Location: Michigan
Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
7/28
218.6 lbs

I honestly have no idea why I'm not losing much weight. My clothes are getting baggier, my face is noticeably thinner. My pants belt is loose and I need a new one.

I've been in the dojo at least 2x a week and hit the bag at least twice a week (most weeks have been 3 times). 10 rounds, 2.5 minutes per round, with 1 minute rest. I spend significant time in the peak hr zone.

I'm eating right and have completely eliminated soda.

I've got to get my Total Gym out of the closet and start using that again. It's just a matter of rearranging a bunch of stuff in the house and making space.

I'm just stumped by this. Maybe I'm getting old


As you probably know muscle is more dense than fat, so maybe you're losing inches of fat, and gaining muscle mass, hence keeping the weight relatively stable.


I've told myself that a few times. I haven't convinced myself that that's what it is yet though


Cutting soda is great, and you say you're eating right, but what about extra carbs? Some folks find that consciously actually rationing things like pasta, bread and rice helps them reach goals faster. Also, "whole grain" options of those same things might be a benefit, as well. Pasta and pizza are my weaknesses. I can still put down a 12" delivery pizza with no problem, and readily dispatch a half-pound of pasta (weighed before cooked) and still do from time to time. That is something I found that I need to control.

Just a thought.
_________________
5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 958
Location: Michigan
Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting article I came across this morning while surfing for news during my morning coffee:

http://time.com/3683118/working-out-not-losing-weight/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter&utm_campaign=time&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social
_________________
5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health, Training and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >