Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that you still enjoy it. I actually just ordered a new one (yellow) and I love it.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that mugens tend to be on the baggy side, but I believe that most modern karate outfits are "loosely"fitted, even the long obis. Uniforms and obis used to be lot more snug fitted than they are today, including the much shorter obis (which is what I prefer). When it comes to fit, BJJ gis are what I would prefer; but, when I once wore my BJJ trousers to karate class, I noticed there was more limitation on movement.

Last edited by R5ky on Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R5ky wrote:
I agree that mugens tend to be on the baggy side, but I believe that most modern karate outfits are fitted, even the long obis. Uniforms and obis used to be lot more fitted than they are today. When it comes to fit, BJJ gis are what I would prefer; but, when I once wore my BJJ trousers to karate class, I noticed there was more limitation on movement.

Solid post!!

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R5ky wrote:
I agree that mugens tend to be on the baggy side, but I believe that most modern karate outfits are fitted, even the long obis. Uniforms and obis used to be lot more fitted than they are today. When it comes to fit, BJJ gis are what I would prefer; but, when I once wore my BJJ trousers to karate class, I noticed there was more limitation on movement.

Interesting observation and likely also depend on the bjj gi brand. My Atama ones probably have similar levels of movement to my karate ones but my shoyoroll ones maybe a little less.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have experience with a generic amazon brand and Fuji, it made my kicks feel restricted to some extent.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R5ky wrote:
I only have experience with a generic amazon brand and Fuji, it made my kicks feel restricted to some extent.

What i noticed was the 'rip stop' style ones i have seemed to have decent movement but the heavier cotton one didn't. Though is probably best to just use a karate gi at karate and a bjj gi at bjj!

Blackbeltsimsy86
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: JKA Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought one and was very impressed with it apart the large customs charge I got! 🤦‍♂️ nevermind

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackbeltsimsy86 wrote:
I recently bought one and was very impressed with it apart the large customs charge I got! 🤦‍♂️ nevermind

The customs charge is always annoying - even more so since it is not always consistently applied!

mjh1969
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used my KI Gi in a while but after reading your review I may use it for my next class.

Sailor Sindbad
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, Shotokan, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered two sets for my son. I REALLY wanted to order him a Japanese brand (I ordered two sets of Shureido for my older daughter), but he just doesn't seem to be as into karate as she is, and he is also not as good at taking care of his things as she is.

In any case, I would say that at face value, they're unbeatable at that the price that they go for. They look just like more expensive brands, in terms of the cut and materials.

But here's where the problems come. If you're of a slender shape and don't need anything hemmed, you're good to go. If you do need it hemmed, and you don't mind the regular one-line stitch (which makes your gi look cheap and reduces the snap), you're also good to go.

But to get the same hem that the gi comes with, my local alteration shop $38 for the pants, and $38 for the sleeves. Thankfully, my son only needed the pants hammed. Otherwise, if he needed pants AND sleeves, this would add $76 per gi.

By the time you do this, you're probably better off ordering a Japanese gi off of kuroobiya.com. Tokyodo hems for free, and the other brands (Tokaido, Hirota, and Hayate) hem for an even lower price than the cheap one-stitch hem that your local alteration shop charges.

KI International needs to offer the same service. If they did, it would undoubtedly be the best deal for the money out there.
Judo, 2023: Novice
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, 2023 - Present: White Belt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: