Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Though Akira Toriyama does have Ki in his Manga Ki is nothing like that.

"Nothing like" is a strong and vague term. It's like the difference between the Rombinhood of legend and the historical Robin... ok, more severe, but I think you get the idea.

Quote:
Ki/Chi/Qi is an energy created in the Dan Tien

mmm.. no. While the Dan Tien is a massave storage place for qi in the body, it's not the "creation place" of it in any particular sense.

Quote:
there are also Blasts and beams but they are never well suited to combat.Ki for the most part only makes a person feel weaker and lose stanima

Simplified to the point I have no idea what you are referring to.

Quote:
but Jing can have some Physical effects.

"Jing" is the expression of energy. If you think about hitting through something, hitting into something, or bouncing off something you hit, you have the basic concept (though the details are more complex than that of course)

Quote:
The Kiah is a way to extract ki from the Dan Tien to make an attack stronger.

If done correctly, it's one of many auditory attacks with energetic effects. I've only been to about a dozen TKD and Karate schools, but none of them did anything other than shout their ki-ah...

I have met some that had the "hut" noise/energy pretty well though.

"Stronger" is also an overly vague term, different sounds have different effects. There are a couple different sounds that could fall under the normal "ki-ah" monicer. The one I am most fond of is a "golden gorilla" sound, which adds bounce and power. The "hut" tends to shorten and slow movement, but add power, where the "thht" (definately not mistakeable for a traditional ki-ah) has speed and length.

Bruce's rather well know monkey (which sounds VERY different in person as opposed to recorded) is a very impressive one as well...I'm not sure how to categorize it's effect.

Even western fighters (boxers for example) use sounds/breathing to aid in hitting. I believe the boxing norm is a contracting of the diagphram (a "huff"). While not as audiable to the opponent, it has a positive effect on the boxer... and is certainly a qi activity.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Jerry! I use different kiap's for different techniques and I get some strange looks and giggles sometimes. Certain sounds just seem to make the technique better! What can you compare the "Golden Gorilla" to so I might have an idea of what the sound is?

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it sounds a lot like a Gorilla

Mouth open, throat relaxed, breathing into diaghphram quickly, in sound "hin", out sound "ha" and causes hyperventelation if you aren't doing something pretty robust while making the sound.

dark_adjudication
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Judo, Ninpo, looking for something new

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol... I lived in Yakima for a couple of years (Selah actually). There isn't much there in the way of martial arts.

There is a guy in Yakima by the name of Mike Terry who, last I heard, was 2nd degree in Ninpo Taijitsu. Ninpo is known for use of Ki but I don't know how much he will be able to teach you at his level.

Not sure if he is still there but look him up in the phone book. If you are serious I 'm sure he would love to practice on you . Last I was heard he didn't have a dojo but that may have changed.
"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

jackechanman
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kazuki i agree with you. but i think ki doesnt make you weaker if you know the right way to absorb energy. nah you guys wouldnt believe me. youd think i was a dbz fan. oh well tell me what you think.

Iron Fist 05
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate & Chinese Boxing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote] If done correctly, it's one of many auditory attacks with energetic effects. I've only been to about a dozen TKD and Karate schools, but none of them did anything other than shout their ki-ah...

I have met some that had the "hut" noise/energy pretty well though.

Quote:

Do you know how to make it effective in karate or tae kwon do?

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no change to make it effective in Karate/TKD.

As an example, because of an odd schedule, I was unable to attend regular classes at my preferred school 2 eyars ago, so I hit a few closer to me looking for one I could train at (I was interested in what others did, but more interested in having a place to work and motivation as I was recovering from a bone-marrow transplant). Anyway, the school I went to (for a month) taught an eclectic version of TKD. They had a teacher come in from a Karate schol and hold a seminar; I voulenteered to play dummy. He taught a routine that ended in a Ki-a; Not really having been trained that sound, I gave it a lion's roar. I got comments and questions for days (they were suprised, because what they were doing had no power and was "shouting").

I'm rambling, but the point is that no real modification is neccessairy; learn the sounds and use them with what you are doing... about the only real time you will have a problem is if you try to force a sound with one energy into a movement you are trying to do with a different energy. It will be pretty self-evident when you do that, you won't need me to tell you which those are.

dark_adjudication
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Judo, Ninpo, looking for something new

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you do a Kiai (spirit shout) you are exhailing when you strike or push and inhailing when drawing or pulling. I don't think the actual sound is that important but it might help if you shout or scream things like get back, stop and help. In a figh,t in public, sounding like Bruce Lee may get you shot.
"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

JerryLove
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality of the sond is very important... the police call it a "command voice" and train it in a manner similar to how we train gorilla at my school.

The monkey screech Bruce is famous for making is excellent... but like most other such sounds, it does not sound the same recorded as it does live.

fungku
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: gong fu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my kung fu school there are all kinds of neat sounds
a very coarse "Waah" kind of noise (tiger).

There is also some "hnnt" sort of coarse exhaling sound with some others, there is one that sounds like a laugh too

I remember when I first joined and I was watching a seniour doing a form I almost laughed my * off. It was new to me, so it was strange, though now I practice it, and it's awesome. A form where you are pushing out with 'bridge-hands' and deeply exhaling, it sounds pretty funny the first couple times you hear it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: