Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are comparing apples and oranges

its like comparing rugby and american football or baseball to cricket

but is does make for interesting conversation

there have been lots of fights in the past where a kickboxing champ fought a thai champ whoever wins the match usually depends on the rules that the fight was fought under.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rules=street fight.

I would probobly go with the Muay Thai but that is on the avaerage kickboxer against the avarage Muay Thai fighter. It depends on the Martial Artist.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The martial art does make a diffence in one key area. That would be wether it is budo, self defence, or a sport. Kicking boxing in my mind and in the mind of its creators in the states, is that it is a contact sport, like Rugby. Thats not to say that it could not be used in self defence, but then so could rugby. But from what I have read about Master Sken and Muay Tai, you train for self defence and moving towards the principles of the Budda for the mental conditioning.

In terms of a REAL fight, then I would have to put my money on a Mauy Tai martial artist.

But tiger, Mauy Tai prationers arent "tough" as you put it, it is more about the mental condition that they and all budo, combat and self defence artists usually address one time or another in there training.

Be Well

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urr wrong again Kensai.

You obviously know absolute jack about Muay Thai. Muay Thai fighters condition them selves to the point where they can sustain kicks to the head.

There was a tournament with Kung Fu vs Muay Thai. All the Kung Fu people lost in the first rounds through KOs in 10-15 secs. 2 Years later the Kung Fu people challenged them again and the same thing happend. It wasnt down to their technique or the style but the fact that they never train in full contact and their bodys where not capable of sustaining such blows to the head that Muay Thai fighters are trained to stand and what makes them or breaks them.

Be Well

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urr wrong again, I was never wrong in the first place. To be fair with the amount of "retoric" that you have come out with so far, I feel that your storys are a little unsubstantial. I am sure the telle tubbies book of Muay Thai has given you some great information. (joke)

But from what I have read, in this months version of Martial arts. A MASTER in Mauy Thai, I am sure you are better than him. Of course full contact is going to make the body resistant to certain attacks, but tough no. Tough in MY OPINION, only MY OPINION, is someone that has something to prove, but Mauy Thai is an excellent MA with nothing to prove.

Also are you trying to tell me that a Kung Fu practioner lost in 15 seconds to a mauy thai boxer. This is not unheard of, but Kung Fu, depending on the style is very kumite based. For example Jun Fan Kung Fu and Jeet Kun Do, very similar also do Jiya ippon kumite. Of course it could have been a poor Kung Fu practioner. iF you have a website of this then I would like the addy.

Also the fittness that is gained from merely practicing a martial art is amazing, for example after the death of a monk at the hands of a white eyebrow monk, all sparring within the Shoalin temples was fround upon. But with their Chi cultvation they can take spears to the throat, I would love to see if a Mauy Thai boxer could do the same.

But like ramcalgary said it is like comparing Apples and Oranges and he said is very true.

It is ALWAYS the practioner, and YOU can be quoted to say the same thing, so why do you keep starting these threads when you already know the answers.

Be Well

Master the Divine
Techniques of Aiki
and no foe
will dare
to challenge you.

[ This Message was edited by: Kensai on 2002-07-20 17:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kensai on 2002-07-20 17:55 ]

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urr your wrong in this scence.

But tiger, Mauy Tai prationers arent "tough" as you put it, it is more about the mental condition that they and all budo, combat and self defence artists usually address one time or another in there training.

It is true that they have a lot of mental preperation but you refer to the Muay Thai fighters as not tough. Urr Thats where your wrong. So Kensai can you point out where I am wrong.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed I can, like everyone else in here. Depends on your definition of "tough". Its all samantics. Lets say that you win this one. I'll let you defeat yourself again in another thread.

Be Well

PS
I already explain what I thought about Mauy Thai, if you have reading difficulties read it again.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-20 17:17, Eye of the Tiger wrote:
Urr wrong again Kensai.

You obviously know absolute jack about Muay Thai. Muay Thai fighters condition them selves to the point where they can sustain kicks to the head.

ROFL.. I think you need a dose of reality.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bon.

Blammo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Muay Thai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can sustain a good martial artist's kick to the head then maybe you should see a couple of doctors.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: