Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

twizt
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I was wondering, I am interested in kickboxing, but is it for everyone? I mean that as in body type? I know that if you really want to you can do it etc etc, but if you are short, or have a large build, is it still possible to be a good kickboxer?
Thanks for that

F-S-K
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the kickboxing forum twizt

anyone can do it, we have all sorts of people at my school and nothing stops them, in the end you will be as good as you want to be, the more training you put in the better you will be

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to this forum TWIZT.........

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickboxing is about being an athlete IMO. To be a kickboxer you have to be strong, fast, and flexible, have unbelievable endurance, and be strategic.
Kickboxing is a combative sport that involves kicking & punching, with the sole purpose being to knock your opponent out.
Certain styles of kickboxing require kicks above the belt so if your legs only spread apart 90 degrees in any direction.... you will not be able to kick anything above the equivalent to your own waist height. Flexibility is a skill that will take work and in time you will develop.
Good Luck!

Deby

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, the fitter you are the easier you'll find kickboxing at the start. But anyone can be that fit. You are literally forced in your classes to push yourself so it is impossible to stay unfit.

If you can only kick waist-height, stretches and exercises will make your muscles more and more supple until you can kick your height and higher...

Running and skipping are good ways of building up your stamina to be able to cope with the continuity of training.

Nobody was born an excellent kickboxer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear every time I read your name, all I read is twit.

Anyway, I used to be in Kickboxing. The only reason I quit is because the teacher lost faith in me. Make sure you have a good teacher. That is all I can say.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true - you do have to be in good shape in order to continue up to the higher belts...I found that if I take 1-2 cardio classes per week in addition to my training that it helps alot. I don't think I could make it through any of my classes if I didn't. I'm also fortunate enough to have an unbelievable female Sensei who is a great motivator and believes in me - a great asset as well as a great role model. You definately need good balance, flexibility and determination - I like how KickChick described it best. And no, you don't have to be a kid to start...

Lori

P.S.
I agree Karateka - I only see 'twit' too lol - no offence intended

-Unknown-

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, kickboxing is a sport, not a martial art. So if you want to compete and succeed, yes you better become athletically superior. But to train in kickboxing for self-defense, anyone can do it. Personally, I don't feel kickboxing covers many other aspects that can occur in a defense situation. But if you want to learn how to punch and kick, go on and do it, you might found out that it is your calling and become a champion.

Sutton_uk
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with him, im just starting out and havent started lesslons or any thing yet im a big bulid but if you practise you will get better

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do your best dont look at if there big or small so dont under estamate them my looking at them they might be weak but tall or strong and skinney and small....ect!!! get the point!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: