Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

kansascityshuffle
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, muay thai, BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kicker Always Wins? Reply with quote

MooYeaDoKID wrote:
Xepher wrote:
Hi All! I Recently went in the light kickboxing division at our tourney. First matchs were easy enough. But in the final I thought I had lost, the guy I fought had excellent combo's , lots of control( where I kinda didn't haha windmill) and in the last 15 seconds had so many punches. But the main thing is I landed waaay more kicks , just single kicks and a few doubles , and a spinning back hook kick to the neck. Now I thought I lost but amazingly the judges went the other way? Now the point I'm trying to make is? In light kickboxing do the judges tend to concentrate alot more on the kicks that are landed than the punches?

in most martial arts competiions Kicking is more points than punching, takes more skill i guess, oh yea and i give you props man, sorry but i havnt heard of a kickboxer who actually uses more kicks than just the boring roundhouse and frontkick, and rthen to land them like that, i think thats awesome, props again man!

Really? haha, I'm trying not to laugh thinking of how many kickboxers I know personally and huge ones that do more than just the roundhouse and front kick. I've seen a sliding side kick used many times, it's almost like a front kick used by San shou guys alllllllllll the time and a similar kick was used by Benny 'the jet' urquidez. Bill superfoot wallace wasn't called superfoot for nothing. Don "the dragon" wilson had a plethora of kicks and he trained under Wallace, so, go figure. Savateurs use many different types of kicks not seen in most kicking oriented arts. People with a Kyokushin background have used many flashy kicks in competition that go beyond the front and roundhouse kick. Kickboxing...at professional level is about making money, and someone that wants longevity in the "sport" wants to have some showmanship. I advise you watch more professional cards.

MooYeaDoKID
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: KungFu San Soo, Karate- Kajukenbou, and now MooYeaDo Karate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Kicker Always Wins? Reply with quote

kansascityshuffle wrote:
MooYeaDoKID wrote:
Xepher wrote:
Hi All! I Recently went in the light kickboxing division at our tourney. First matchs were easy enough. But in the final I thought I had lost, the guy I fought had excellent combo's , lots of control( where I kinda didn't haha windmill) and in the last 15 seconds had so many punches. But the main thing is I landed waaay more kicks , just single kicks and a few doubles , and a spinning back hook kick to the neck. Now I thought I lost but amazingly the judges went the other way? Now the point I'm trying to make is? In light kickboxing do the judges tend to concentrate alot more on the kicks that are landed than the punches?

in most martial arts competiions Kicking is more points than punching, takes more skill i guess, oh yea and i give you props man, sorry but i havnt heard of a kickboxer who actually uses more kicks than just the boring roundhouse and frontkick, and rthen to land them like that, i think thats awesome, props again man!

Really? haha, I'm trying not to laugh thinking of how many kickboxers I know personally and huge ones that do more than just the roundhouse and front kick. I've seen a sliding side kick used many times, it's almost like a front kick used by San shou guys alllllllllll the time and a similar kick was used by Benny 'the jet' urquidez. Bill superfoot wallace wasn't called superfoot for nothing. Don "the dragon" wilson had a plethora of kicks and he trained under Wallace, so, go figure. Savateurs use many different types of kicks not seen in most kicking oriented arts. People with a Kyokushin background have used many flashy kicks in competition that go beyond the front and roundhouse kick. Kickboxing...at professional level is about making money, and someone that wants longevity in the "sport" wants to have some showmanship. I advise you watch more professional cards.

-please take not i wasnt trying to insult at all, sorry if i did

yea thats what i was talking about, i meant kickboxing in the UFCMMA WEC, etc. i watch alot of that, and i know the guys probably do know more kicks than just the roundhouse and front kick, but its just that whe theyre in action i usually never see anything like a spin kicki, back kick, i have seen side kick probably, but thsat can also be rare, but i wasnt trying to insult, infact i think its otally awesome to see a kickboxer who actually uses mor variety of kicks, lol im sorry but im a fan of spin kick knockouts, thats why, anyhoo congrats on you win though.

kansascityshuffle
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Kicker Always Wins? Reply with quote

MooYeaDoKID wrote:
kansascityshuffle wrote:
MooYeaDoKID wrote:
Xepher wrote:

yea thats what i was talking about, i meant kickboxing in the UFCMMA WEC, etc. i watch alot of that, and i know the guys probably do know more kicks than just the roundhouse and front kick, but its just that whe theyre in action i usually never see anything like a spin kicki, back kick, i have seen side kick probably, but thsat can also be rare, but i wasnt trying to insult, infact i think its otally awesome to see a kickboxer who actually uses mor variety of kicks, lol im sorry but im a fan of spin kick knockouts, thats why, anyhoo congrats on you win though.

You're talking about MMA, not Kickboxing. There is a huge difference and until the last few years MMA has been lacking some good strikers and if you want to talk about "good Kickboxer" like stylists in MMA just look at Anderson Silva and GSP.
If you want to watch kickboxing and stuff similar to it, watch WMC sanctioned fights, K-1, Ichigeki, Kakutogi, Shootboxing, K-U, and even Kyokushin, Enshin, Ashihara, Shidokan(which is the "triathalon"), Kudo and more kinds of fights. The latter that I mentioned are styles that have full contact competition where you might see some of the types of knockouts you're desiring.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take that your kicks may have been seen as more effective and more aggressive striking. Those two factors will influence a judge many times. If the other man is throwing combinations and they are not landing well, that explains a lot of it. As for him unloading in the last 15 seconds of the round, he was trying to close out strong. It's not despiration many times, it's just trying to make sure that that if it's going to the cards, they have some more points at the end.

Congrats on the win though, enjoy it and learn from it.

MooYeaDoKID
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kicker Always Wins? Reply with quote

kansascityshuffle wrote:
MooYeaDoKID wrote:
kansascityshuffle wrote:
MooYeaDoKID wrote:
Xepher wrote:

You're talking about MMA, not Kickboxing. There is a huge difference and until the last few years MMA has been lacking some good strikers and if you want to talk about "good Kickboxer" like stylists in MMA just look at Anderson Silva and GSP.
If you want to watch kickboxing and stuff similar to it, watch WMC sanctioned fights, K-1, Ichigeki, Kakutogi, Shootboxing, K-U, and even Kyokushin, Enshin, Ashihara, Shidokan(which is the "triathalon"), Kudo and more kinds of fights. The latter that I mentioned are styles that have full contact competition where you might see some of the types of knockouts you're desiring.

ok so ur saying that the striking in kyokushin, or k-1, is better than mmA? THAT NEVER OCCURRED TO ME TO ACTUALLY ANALYZE THAT, BUT I THINK UR PROBABLY right, mma is known alot more for ground game, and k-1 is mostly about striking, but kyokushin? how come u say that, i havnt really seen a karate before besides toshinikai that actually has face contact, so u think that kyokushin would be good in k-1 or mma? btw i havnt evru heard of k-u or WMC, would the happen to be more exciting?

kansascityshuffle
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kicker Always Wins? Reply with quote

MooYeaDoKID wrote:
kansascityshuffle wrote:
MooYeaDoKID wrote:
kansascityshuffle wrote:
MooYeaDoKID wrote:
Xepher wrote:

ok so ur saying that the striking in kyokushin, or k-1, is better than mmA? THAT NEVER OCCURRED TO ME TO ACTUALLY ANALYZE THAT, BUT I THINK UR PROBABLY right, mma is known alot more for ground game, and k-1 is mostly about striking, but kyokushin? how come u say that, i havnt really seen a karate before besides toshinikai that actually has face contact, so u think that kyokushin would be good in k-1 or mma? btw i havnt evru heard of k-u or WMC, would the happen to be more exciting?

The WMC(formerly known as WMTC) is the world muay thai council..it's the cream of the crop when you hold a WMC title belt. Many fighters that you have seen have had WMC belts(Andy Hug, for one). K-U is Kickboxing Union, which is a kickboxing association in Japan.
The kicks that you desire are at the world level of Kyokushin and offshoot competition. Filho, Texeira, Feitosa, Pettas, and Hug(rip) came from Kyokushin backgrounds.

moriniuk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Interested in all martial arts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume that "light kickboxing" is the same as light contact or even semi-contact.

If this is correct then the kicks used will generally be different to those used in full contact.

In light contact you score by just touching your opponent. so power kicks aren't necessary.

I'm not 100% sure about kickboxing, but in Muay Thai kicks definately score more than punches.

Muay Thai doesn't use many kicks, mainly front kick and round kick. Sometimes you'll see a side kick, a back kick and a spinning back hook kick.
The reason for this is that these kicks have been proven to work.

The WMC is the body appointed by the Thai government to regulate and promote Muay Thai globally. They are pushing at the moment to get Olympic recognition for the sport.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moriniuk wrote:

Muay Thai doesn't use many kicks, mainly front kick and round kick.

I've noticed this too, Moriniuk. There's a fairly common use of a front kick that's really a push kick, strong enough to shove the incoming opponent back, or kill some of his steam. When it's done, the Muay Thai kickers seem to lean into the kick, to make sure it's a shove, not quite the same as a thrust kick that leans back to put your pelvis into it and give it more power than a snap kick.

kansascityshuffle
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
moriniuk wrote:

Muay Thai doesn't use many kicks, mainly front kick and round kick.

I've noticed this too, Moriniuk. There's a fairly common use of a front kick that's really a push kick, strong enough to shove the incoming opponent back, or kill some of his steam. When it's done, the Muay Thai kickers seem to lean into the kick, to make sure it's a shove, not quite the same as a thrust kick that leans back to put your pelvis into it and give it more power than a snap kick.

In most "Thai style" Muay Thai it's emphasized to not lean back much, if at all. Balance is heavily emphasized(good form)and not telegraphing what you do is, too.
There are different types of front kicks in muay thai, too. However, the one seen the most often is the common teep/push kick.
I'm not going to lie though, it's much easier to lean back and really chamber that knee before you kick but a quick way to do it is to throw a rear kao/knee and transfer that to a teep/push kick but practice it so you don't kick your opponent in the groin .

MooYeaDoKID
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moriniuk wrote:
I presume that "light kickboxing" is the same as light contact or even semi-contact.

If this is correct then the kicks used will generally be different to those used in full contact.

In light contact you score by just touching your opponent. so power kicks aren't necessary.

I'm not 100% sure about kickboxing, but in Muay Thai kicks definately score more than punches.

Muay Thai doesn't use many kicks, mainly front kick and round kick. Sometimes you'll see a side kick, a back kick and a spinning back hook kick.
The reason for this is that these kicks have been proven to work.

so you believe that spinning back and hook kicks do actually work? cuz i totoally agree with that?

The WMC is the body appointed by the Thai government to regulate and promote Muay Thai globally. They are pushing at the moment to get Olympic recognition for the sport.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: