Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I was practicing earlier and I came up with this exercise to practice kicks. Note I have no idea if this is already done by some, thought up by some, or used/discarded by some but anyway here goes:

In a normal fighting stance, left leg behind, do a front kick off your right leg, and drop it back behind the left leg. Then look left, and perform a hook kick with your left leg to the side. By now you should have rotated to be facing Left. But the left leg behind, do a front kick, turn + hook kick, turn, front kick, turn + hook kick, etc. etc. Going around 90 degrees with each combo. You could do this with other feet and turn the other way, or you can try incorporating different kicks. I just thought I'd like to show this to you people. Its good if you don't have much room, much like the following thing my Tae Kwon Do instructor used...

In Front stance, left leg behind, perform a hand movement (block, punch, strike) then turn 90 degrees to the right into another front stance and perform the move again. Keep doing these with different moves, or the same moves, since it helps develop the skill of doing the move with limited space, whilst also helping with footwork.

Hope you guys find some use for these, I apoligise for my bad explanation, but its hard to explain without a video.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean Jack. I work on preparing kick & punch drills for my classes ... sometimes I find some online and they are very hard to understand and find myself mimicking the moves in front of my computer (quite the sight!) but, anyway good start Jack! One thing to remember is when alternating kicks with left and right to be sure to land the foot after kicking in the proper position to set up for the next kick. Also try incorporating blocks & punches together with the kicks. This will help you find some good combos for sparring.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like what I do.. I stretch daily and try to hold my leg up in a round house or sidekick position as long as possible. I also do as much kicks as I can until all of my legs muscles are tired. I am the type of person who works out the whole body when I work out.

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great excercise jack,
i will be sure to try it out
hey TKD_McGee, i might have a tip for you which will help you improve the height of your sidekick and make you keep it up in a 90 degree position for as long as possible, you probably already know this being such an experienced martial artist, but for other who dont, here it goes...

get a chair, place it so that the back isnt the nearest side to you, then lift any knee up vertically, visually picturing coming up the side of the chair, then once you reached the highest vertical point possible , then move horisontally, - up the top of the chair, then come down, but dont but your foot on the ground, keep it slightly in the air, then perform the excercise again, do this roughly 15 times for both knees, then when you feel more confident, try the other side of the chair, then try something higher,
this was a great excercise which i master taught me, and i noticed some REAL improvements

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: