Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Kicking injury... Reply with quote

Ok about 2-3 months ago I was competing at a tournament, first one back after a couple of years, event was called up sooner than I expected and I didn't get a decent warm up in...

I performed a head level kick and felt a bit of discomfort as though I had slightly pulled a muscle, and thats what I thought it was, however it has only been getting worse, the pain is in my left leg, high up as though its at the bottom of my hip, kind of just below my left bum cheek maybe where my leg meets my hip I'm guessing. But I get an intense pain when performing front kick with my left leg, or when I perform side kick and round kick with my right leg...I'm actually starting to feel it slightly when walking up stairs...

I'm normally quite a flexible person, could normally kick way above head height with ease... I am looking at going to get this checked out properly, just wondered if anyone had experienced this before or might know what it is I have done...

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't injure that area specifically, but I've pulled some muscles in my hips. That generally takes months to heal properly. Physical therapy was involved. :-/

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm feeling like I'm going to have to admit defeat and seek out therapy, never had to do this before, maybe its a sign I'm starting to get old!

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the most grown up thing one can do is seeking help when needed.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pulled muscle or could be a trapped nerve. Sciatica?

Best get it checked out.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the surface it seems like a hamstring strain. What have you been done since it occurred? If you haven’t taken much time off and have been doing a lot of stretching, this may be why it’s still bothering you and/or getting worse.

When you “pull” a muscle (strain), you pull the fibers apart. It seems like a good stretch will loosen it up and work it out. That’s actually counterproductive. When the fibers are pulled apart, they need to stick back together so they can heal. Every time you stretch and kick, you’re reaggravating the injury, even if only a little bit.

At this long out, your best bet is a good warmup followed by gentle stretching. By gentle stretching, I mean going right to that point of discomfort and backing off. These things generally take a good month or two to heal up, depending on the severity, and that’s with rest. If you haven’t taken any time off, you’re most likely making it worse. The older we get, the longer it takes to recover unfortunately. If I could treat you, I’d also do some myofascial release, most likely ART on the area, along with some moderate strengthening exercises. But first I’d have to know what the injury actually is

It wouldn’t hurt to see an orthopedist and/or physical therapist. They’d be able to put their hands on you and figure out exactly what’s going on. It could be something else.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ashworth, what you described sounds similar to something I had happen to me, was a long time ago, all fine now.

Seems to me that your kick that did the damage could have been due to a very loose kick that was hyper extended due to a momentary lack of contol.

Recommend after resting or going easy on that area to focus more on strengthening your joints more to match your flexibility.

Improving on hip alignment can lead to less injuries, using an ankle strap and pulley machine is useful or adding rubber bands to kicking routines would be helpful.

Hips are fulcrums, as strong as they are they are susceptible towards damage, getting a muscular butt not only will give you more power it will also provide extra protection to many types of injuries including falling.

Good luck and get well soon ashworth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: